Some Pretty Serious Competition For Apple.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

Check out the new 30 inch Widescreen from Dell:

Dell 30 inch Widescreen

Gotta love the price even more......$2199.

Some serious competition for Apple?....Or are price drops coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G520incher

Both, perhaps? We will see. In this phase, if there are quality differences to justify the price, Apple will try to keep its price point. Otherwise, expect price adjustments, but it will take time I am afraid.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I know I'm getting a Dell display instead of an Apple one.

Why?

-Warranty kicks ass

-Adjustable height

-Has inputs that I can use with an Xbox 360

-Has picture-in-picture support, so I can be playing Halo 3 on one part of the screen, while running my comp to chat on AIM in another

-I can get a 24" Dell for the same price as a 20" Apple, with a panel made by the same manufacturer

But I dunno, Apple has a lot of advantages too. Like, uh, well.

A pretty case?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G520incher

Hey Guys,

Check out the new 30 inch Widescreen from Dell:

Dell 30 inch Widescreen

Gotta love the price even more......$2199.

At list price, I don't think the price difference alone is that big of a deal. Many of the people that would buy the Dell probably wouldn't buy the Apple out of principle. Many Apple users likely woudn't mind paying the 12 percent difference for the enclosure style, though I would expect the Dell to be available for new well below list price, something that usually doesn't happen with Apple unless it is a model that was replaced.

Farther down the line though, I can see the pricing making a difference. I see the 24" Dell from Costco or even Dell at $825, the similar Apple is $1299. That's over a third off. Heck, Apple's 23" model was known for troubles so it isn't as if one was necessarily buying better quality for the extra money. But that's not counting the warranty, stock Apple is 1yr, stock Dell is 3yr.

The 30" Dell has more connector flexibility as well as HDCP, as will the next rev of the 24". I will not be buying any new displays without it, computer or not, and I am pretty sure Apple doesn't have it.

Although I dislike most of what Dell is about, I really don't think Apple can compete here, though I wish someone would, be it Samsung or whoever.