Developers, what software could utilise the 4 IPC Intel processors?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm curious as to what (and How) software could take best advantage of the four issue core in Merom, Conroe and Woodcrest. Not much has been made of it in Windows land because so much rewritting is required (apparently, I have asked around) But I'm wondering if Mac software devs could make better use of it. 4 IPC is one of the Next generation Intel processor cores big features (along with Virtualization and other stuff), what is it good for?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    It's much closer to how a G5 does business. Unless you do a lot of custom optimizations developers don't really need to do much. It could really make a difference in unrolling short loops, but that is varsity level heavy duty computation, not user centric GUI applications.

Compiler writers can get a pretty good bang for the buck by reworking for this type of thing, but not the kinds of increases a talented numerical computation expert could. How many of our apps need the numerical computation expert though?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    acr4acr4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

How many of our apps need the numerical computation expert though?

MATLAB...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Yeah, and those guy's already have the right folks to do the optimizations.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    so audio and video stuff, plugins, etc could benefit, but only with low-level reworking?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    The amount of reworking depends on the complexity of the short loops and the ability of the optimizing compiler. Simple loop and good compiler, just rebuild it. Complex loop or bad compiler, you need someone decent to get the max out of the processor. I expect ICC will be OK at the simple loops.