Software with security flaws

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This article is extremely misleading. If I couldn't read between the lines, I would think that running Windows and IE would be more secure than a Mac with FireFox.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...10,pg,1,00.asp

I love this quote:

Quote:

Desktop programs such as iTunes, RealPlayer, and even the security-conscious Firefox now account for more than 60 percent of serious vulnerabilities

Yet there is no mention of IE, which according to their own article has 91 vulernabilities, while iTunes and RealPlayer have a total of 13 (2 and 11, respectively). The article also says:

Quote:

For the time being, however, flaws in media players are mostly a theoretical threat.

That he includes this statement:

Quote:

And Mac users, wipe that smug look off your faces: Because these security flaws are found in applications rather than operating systems, you are at risk as well.

is a complete joke. He makes no connection between existing security flaws and anyone having exploited them. He also does not state if the security flaws are found on one OS, but not another.

You also have to love this line:

Quote:

There are now more known security holes in desktop applications than in the Windows operating system.

What it doesn't say is that Windows has more security holes than any individual app. It also does not say that IE, Microsoft's other heavily used app, is near the top of the heap with regards to apps that are comatose with respect to security.