Keynote Presentaion on a PC

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

the subject says it all, really. I need to do a presentation (my first one) for the company I work for, and I know that where I have to do it I will only have a PC to use.

Is there any way of using Keynote to create a presentation which can then be run on the PC? I know there are some apps out there that have a kind of player app that can be used - does Keynote have anything?

I've never used Keynote (nor Powerpoint for about 5 years), so rather than delve into it only to find I can't do anything with it I'd be grateful if someone could let me know if I'd be wasting my time. Have I got to bite the bullet and use Powerpoint?

Cheers,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    You can quite easily export to powerpoint from keynote, no?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Unfortunately Keynote does not have a Windows player. You can export to many platform-neutral file formats, like pdf, quicktime, flash, and DVDs. And they've done a nice job in this last revision of allowing you to create separate screens for builds too. You can also export to PowerPoint, but that probably doesn't make any sense. If I were you, I'd just use PowerPoint.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Powerpoint is a disaster no matter how you slice it. Use whatever tool you want and export to PDF. Incidentally, it's much easier to do this with Keynote on a mac. If you expect that people will need to use and edit your presentation later, though, you don't have much of a choice other than powerpoint.

Even so, you should export to PDF if at all possible, especially in a Windows environment. Your presentation may end up on computer that doesn't have your fonts, in which case Powerpoint balks even if you choose to embed the fonts into the presentation. There's also the issue that Windows PCs have worse color calibration than System 8, and possiby even System 7. In Windows, that plesant tan color you picked as a background is probably neon orange on your neighbor's computer. (Or, more likely, your color-code charts become unreadable) Embedded ICC profiles are an absolute must-have in any shared environment, and powerpoint can't do this.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like Powerpoint is the route, as I assume a pdf file can't have nice transitions between slides - it would just be one after the other?

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 5 of 6
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I'm pretty sure you can export to an interactive quicktime movie.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Yes, you can export a quicktime movie from keynote 3, which will automatically run as full screen even if quicktime pro isn't installed - only the regular free quicktime player is needed. The movie is interactive, which makes it pause at each slide and let you click to go to the next one. This way you keep the fancy animation and transitions from keynote. Otherwise go with powerpoint or pdf. I don't recommend the powerpoint export from keynote.