FTIR (Frustrated Total Internal Reflection

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apologies if this has already been covered.

Remember that recent patent that had fingers and hands all over the screen of a (possible) tablet?

You will not believe this.

Click on the Multi-Touch Interaction Experiments.

Wow! Just... wow!

Even if it's fake, it's a neat dream!

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Holy Crap. Were do I get one?

Better yet... where do I buy stock?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Holy Crap. Were do I get one?

Better yet... where do I buy stock?

I was making fun of this about a week ago; said it was fantasy.

Damn.

Damn!

V/R,

Amazed1B
  • Reply 3 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    omygod
  • Reply 4 of 11
    1. I'm buying stock in that technology.

2. I'm buying stock in Windex.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

omygod

Amen, MacBrutha!

In a Video iPod? In about a month? For me, this would well and truly be the actual end of the 20th Century.

V/R,

Amazed1B
  • Reply 6 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How does this work? Does the surface bend slightly? Since it's reflecting off the inside of the acrylic, how does a finger on top of it affect the light?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

How does this work? Does the surface bend slightly? Since it's reflecting off the inside of the acrylic, how does a finger on top of it affect the light?

Frustrated Total Internal Reflection of the ambient RDF*.

V/R,

Amazed1B

*(Damned if I know)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Total internal reflection requires a high refractive index difference between two media (like air and water, glass and air). At the surface-air interface, due to the fact that the electric field of the light cannot be discontinuous (it must extend beyond the surface a ways), this is the so called evanescence wave, when you place your finger on the surface you absorb some of the energy of the light which is being reflected changing the intensity and direction of the reflected wave (scattering)...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Total internal reflection requires a high refractive index difference between two media (like air and water, glass and air). At the surface-air interface, due to the fact that the electric field of the light cannot be discontinuous (it must extend beyond the surface a ways), this is the so called evanescence wave, when you place your finger on the surface you absorb some of the energy of the light which is being reflected changing the intensity and direction of the reflected wave (scattering)...

i.e. It's magic.

- Jasen.

P.S. I asked this in the other thread about this, but that thread died. Does anyone know of a way to get OS X to display two cursors, or as many cursors as there are pointing devices? I'm thinking about the situation with a very large screen or multiple monitors where you might want a graphics pen to be devoted to the drawing area and the mouse to be devoted to interacting with the menus and controls.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Nice. This is the next step in the evolution of the Mac. Well, it could be Isn't this the kind of stuff Media Lab @ MIT should be doing? I was reading on some tangible media work a few years back. Not sure what they're up to now.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I am perplexed, thoroughly. I really want to know

how GUI will look like in 10 or 20 years.