Core Duo iMac CPU temps?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My iMac G5 20" is cooking at around 155 F in "highest performance" mode not doing anything but waiting on me to start FCP and playing iTunes.

Can anyone post any CPU temps from the machines?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Have you checked what processes might be running using activity monitor?

68 C seems a little hot for moderate levels of computation.

Edit: How are you determining the temperature? Are you using a program developed for powerpc processors?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Have you checked what processes might be running using activity monitor?

68 C seems a little hot for moderate levels of computation.

Edit: How are you determining the temperature? Are you using a program developed for powerpc processors?

Not on a G5!

I use this widget http://www.bresink.com/osx/HardwareMonitor.html

Notice I said in "highest performance". I usually run in reduced or Automatic but before I start FCP I crank the voltage on up. You can watch the temp. rise immediately.

My hdd comes in at a low 129 F.

The G5 is a hot chip...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Hell, my Dual 2.5 comes in at a toasty 155F too. Thing is a damn space heater.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    well, all that widget says on my 17" intel iMac is: No accessible sensors found.

update: tried the full install of that hardware monitor app and same thing. no sensors.

this thing is quieter than my mac mini however...love it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

well, all that widget says on my 17" intel iMac is: No accessible sensors found.

update: tried the full install of that hardware monitor app and same thing. no sensors.

I would bet that the hardware is probably different than what the program expects. I have no idea how the PPC or Intel chipsets handle that sort of thing, the API may be different or it may be using an Intel standard vs. whatever Apple used with their PPC systems.