DVD Ripper for Windows/Mac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I normally look around in the Future Hardware section, so the Genius Bar is semi-new to me. This questions could be asked every other post (although I've looked a few pages back and didn't see it), so if it is I apologize. Now for the question:

My wife and I love DVDs, she's on a Powerbook(acquired a few months ago and I'm extremely jealous) and myself on a Dell (I know, trust me. Yes. Dells suck.). We both need a good program for ripping DVDs onto our hard drives, because with TV Shows (in particular, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, and Lost), it gets to be a pain switching the DVDs in and out and lugging them along whenever you want to watch them - 4 to 6 DVDs per season. What's a good program that rips them onto your hard drive, in FULL quality and doesn't distort the 16:9 ratio for Windows and OS X?

I don't mind if it costs money, just preferably nothing over $50. Although, if it's unrealistic to find a fast DVD ripper with great quality for under 50 bucks, I could spring for more.

Thanks so much all,

-tdnc101

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Free...

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715

And if you need to back them up on Single Layer DVD-/+R's buy this to compress them down to around 4.3 gigs...

http://www.dvd2one.com/
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks so much, that's perfect. Do you have a program like that for Windows as well?

Thanks again.

-tdnc101
  • Reply 3 of 4
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    try this one: dvd shrink
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I too suggest MacTheRipper. That and HandBrake.

I've used both to rip DVD movies to watch on my PowerBook while flying to Europe so I didn't have to worry about bringing the DVD or losing it. Also it should save on battery life since it won't have to spin the disc, but this depends on how much work the CPU/GPU will do which is based on the codec.