Anybody Have Trouble Burning DL DVD-/+R's???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought a Dual Layer burner, this one specifically...

http://www.mdmm.com/products/optical...RTripleExt.asp

I also bought a 25 pack of Memorex DL DVD+R's for around $85.

Well I've been burning just regular backups of files and I would say half of the disc fail verification because halfway through it says a sector is unreadable. I'm using the latest version of Toast. I also hooked the drive up to my PC in order to update it to the latest firmware... but even after that I still continued to get verification errors.

This is just ridiculous with the disc being more than $3 a piece.

I'm hoping it is the Memorex disc. I helped videohelp.org and the disc got a lot of mixed and poor reviews.

I'm going to try and find some of the DL discs that got good reviews so that I can try and see if they fail to burn with the same material as well.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried out DL Burners and disc, and if they have had any experiences like this? I've been burning DVDs for about 3 years now, and have never had this many errors with any brand, and can't afford to have a 50 percent coaster rate.

- Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I'd suspect it's the media. I bought the same burner myself and it's been working like a champ for me. I would look at Verbatim media, it has a very good reputation for reliability.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Nope, I'm in the same boat with you, pal. I've got the Memorex discs as well, but cautiously bought a 3 pack. I just installed a matshita dvd-ram UJ-845S into my 867 TiBook and am having issues with it. It will recognize a DL disc, but will spew out all sorts of varieties of errors when attempting to burn it. The drive never writes, the disc get spit out and OSX reports an error of the laser not being powerful enough/calibrated properly. DVD + R, - R, +RW, -RW all work fine.. It also will not boot up to a disc when holding down the C key. I bought it from FastMac. Not very pleased as the only reason I got the damn thing was to specifically burn DL discs. Otherwise I can get by without a superdrive.

I read this article that says that some DL drives need to be forced into Master mode, which is done by soldering/bridging two pins on the optical drive connector together. You can check that out here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/tips/Pion...aster_mod.html

I will let you guys know how it turns out once I get off the phone with FastMac (tomorrow morning) If they sold me a drive that they know to be incompatible despite whatever Patchburn does for it, they are going to be sorry.