new 80GB iPod for $200

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
i've recently been told by a pretty solid source that a new iPod with all of the same capabilities as the 5G iPod, but now with 80GB of storage, and they plan to sell it for $200. i'm guessing this may be Apple's big announcement on April 1st. i did a little research and found that Toshiba, who provides the hard drives for the iPod, has just developed a slim 80GB drive. if anyone else has heard something about this, i'd like to know more. possibly a something like a 3 1/2 inch screen with digital click wheel (saw it on macrumors.com)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    An 80Gb iPod at some point is given, who knows if it will be April or not. You will definitely not get much change from $399 this year though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

An 80Gb iPod at some point is given,

Although I agree with your $399 price-point I'm not so sure it is inevitable. Apple hasn't increased the size since late 2004 (this maybe a sign that it's coming soon or that Apple is happy with the 60GB). Remember Apple had 20GB at the bottom for many years - only with the video was the 30GB made the base-line. Although I'm personally waiting for a bigger iPod to replace my 60GB I'm not sure most customers want more space - maybe smaller more functional devices.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lustlust Posts: 83member
    Would this new HD decrease the overall size and weight of the iPod? If not then it's not really important to me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Seeing as this is your first post, i do not know if you are seriously asking, making a joke, or in some odd way spamming the board.

Anyway, i'll bite. I can see an 80 gig but not a "true" video ipod. Considering how mnay people would be pissed off that they just bought the 5G, i couldn't imagine they would do that. But, then again, i said before Macworld that i would be surprised if they made an intel iMac seeing as the current PPC one was quite new so i could be wrong.

I sold my 4G to my brother for a 5G. I love it but i could have done without it. I know i won't buy a 6g if they come out this soon

Oh, BTW, i can't believe a $200 tag.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hitter9

i've recently been told by a pretty solid source that a new iPod with all of the same capabilities as the 5G iPod, but now with 80GB of storage, and they plan to sell it for $200

I think you made a grammar or other type of error somewhere. The hard drive in the large iPod might be available as a third party upgrade without installation for $200, but I doubt a whole 5G iPod would be available at that price. Or maybe some other digital file player from another company would be introduced, but that wouldn't be an iPod, though I doubt that it would be $200.