Can't FTP through router/firewall (DI-624)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
All,

Since installing a wireless router (D-Link DI-624) I can no longer FTP into my remote web server.

My setup:

I live in the sticks, so I have a wireless internet provider (Motorola Canopy antenna, IIRC). Originally, I had the cable coming straight from the wireless antenna into the ethernet port on my G5 and was assigned a dynamic IP. With that config, I could FTP into my web server, work server, etc.

For various reasons, I needed a static IP, so I bought the wireless DI-624. The Motorola canopy now goes straight to the router, and my G5 connects via airport. Works fine for my G5, Xbox 360 and Powerbook, with the only problem being that I can no longer FTP into any server I try to connect to.

I think it may be a PASV issue, or I may need to do port forwarding or something with ports 20/21, but I know almost nothing about routers/firewalls (as you can tell).

I've tried configuring my router to allow FTP connections but I've had no luck (admittedly, I'm almost positive I haven't configured it properly).

Also, OS X's internal firewall is not on, so I don't think OS X is blocking it.

I'm running 10.4.4, and have tried the newest versions of both Fetch and Transmit.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Well, first off, see if you can still ftp without the router.

If so, then you'll need to make sure that the router has open ftp ports, as you mentioned.

Somewhere in the router setup page will be the Port Forwarding section. In that, make sure that both ports 20 and 21 are set to forward to your local IP for that machine. For example, if the local IP for your machine (set by DHCP on the router or manually if you turn off DHCP in the router) is 192.168.0.2, then forward ports 20 and 21 to 192.168.0.2.

Turn on ftp in the Sharing pane of System Preferences.

EDIT: I was thinking about the "static IP" issue. You still have a dynamic IP -- it is just that your router is now giving you a local IP. That does not allow you to address the machine remotely - you still would address the router's IP which is dynamic. But it should not in itself affect ftping out - just in case the router DHCPs that machine a different local IP, then the port forwarding is going to be wrong, so set the router to assign a fixed local IP (which I am assuming you already did).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have this problem is well. I can mount my ftp server, but I cannot modify (add things to it) at all.

I know of at least one other person with this problem

Network solutions says everything is fine on their end...

any suggestions?!?!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

I have this problem is well. I can mount my ftp server, but I cannot modify (add things to it) at all.

I know of at least one other person with this problem

Network solutions says everything is fine on their end...

any suggestions?!?!

Not Finder, right? Finder only supports GET, not PUT. IOW you can use Connect to Server to mount an FTP server but you cannot issue PUTs to it.

Did you try using Fetch or Transmit? I have no problem doing PUTs with either to my site.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Not Finder, right? Finder only supports GET, not PUT. IOW you can use Connect to Server to mount an FTP server but you cannot issue PUTs to it.

Did you try using Fetch or Transmit? I have no problem doing PUTs with either to my site.

With Fetch, I am not able...

I get a similar error. I've been on the phone with NS, and they are very unhelpful.