virus and spyware protection

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I searched the forums first and didn't find anything that matched my question. So, I was wondering what is the best virus and spyware protection you can get for a Mac? Any of it free?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Hi

The only free anti virus for OS X that I am aware of is

ClamXav

It can be found by searching the following places

Google

VersionTracker

MacUpdate

I hope this helps

Rob 8)
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by StarkWeather

I searched the forums first and didn't find anything that matched my question. So, I was wondering what is the best virus and spyware protection you can get for a Mac? Any of it free?

There is no spyware on the Mac. Neither are there any MacOS X-specific viruses. I recommend using antiviral software as a measure of good citizenship, but it will not directly benefit you or your computer. I use Norton Antivirus for the Macintosh 10. There are competing commercial antivirus utilities and at least one free one, IIRC. Check VersionTracker.com and MacUpdate.com for all available options.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    how is it that Macs can't get spyware?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by StarkWeather

how is it that Macs can't get spyware?

Microsoft and the Windows fanboys attribute it to "security by obscurity." The truth is that MacOS X has a superior security model. This issue gets discussed endlessly here and elsewhere. Search this forum if you want to read the arguments in other threads.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Er, on that note, there appears to be a Mac OS X virus floating around the web, disguised as Leopard screenshots.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Er, on that note, there appears to be a Mac OS X virus floating around the web, disguised as Leopard screenshots.

Not a virus but a trojan (not self-propogating through any particular vulnerability). You still have to execute it yourself.

Well, it had to happen someday ...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Not a virus but a trojan (not self-propogating through any particular vulnerability). You still have to execute it yourself.

Well, it had to happen someday ...

FWIW, there was a similar scare a couple of years ago. Apple responded by incorporating a warning whenever an application is downloaded. MacOS X also warns the user whenever an application is launched for the first time. If it is real, this little ditty cannot execute without user permission.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Stor...oogle&keyword=

this is why i dont want people switching and the mac platform getting much attention

is that greedy of me?

maybe but i dont care.

STOP REPORTING ABOUT APPLE!!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Your link is dead.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    According to Macworld LINK, a new vulnerability in Safari has been discovered. The recent trend of discovering vulnerabilities is beginning to make me question just how secure of an operating system Mac OS X is. How dedicated is Apple to fixing these issues? Seems to me that we ought to be expecting a security update that fixes these issues.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This is a true vulnerability, although smart users like myself have "Open 'safe' files..." already turned off. But I expect disguised shell scripts will not count as safe files in the future. In fact that mechanism needs to be bullet proof.

Meanwhile, stay clear of any Leopard screenshots your buddies send you via IM.

And of course there's always the general word of caution of be careful what you click on and when you input your admin password.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I ran Allume's SpyAlert and it came up with 8 items, all in the Adobe Acrobat folder. I decided what the heck and that I would reinstall from the master CD. When I went to delete the files, an error popped up requesting my password. This is true for all files in the Acrobat folder, which is not locked.

All other Adobe folders allow me to delete at will. What's up?

They are in a folder name ENU:

Create Page Thumbnail

Fast Web View

Open All

Print 1st Page of All

Print All

Remove File Attachements

Save All as RTF

Set Security to No Change