iPod cause of female cyclist's death

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just found this URL to a news article about an Aussie female cyclist was killed because she couldn't hear the traffic due to her iPod.

Police warning for iPod users

This was bound to happen, but I'm more worried about some stupid lawsuit that tries to sue Apple for not providing enough warning on the iPod to say that listening to loud music on the road can kill you. I don't know about any cases of the old walkman and discman days, so there might be a precidence set back then.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wow that article was highly biased (not to mention this thread's title)... Yes, let's all blame the inanimate object and not the person using it! It could have just as easily been a Discman or a Creative Zen. But of course these writers just want to catch people's eyes (same with thread's title) and use titles along the lines of IPOD KILLS PERSON. Really, it's darwinism at work, people need to be more responsible. Same with the scratching issues with the nanos...

my 2 cents....
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

wow that article was highly biased (not to mention this thread's title)... Yes, let's all blame the inanimate object and not the person using it! It could have just as easily been a Discman or a Creative Zen. But of course these writers just want to catch people's eyes (same with thread's title) and use titles along the lines of IPOD KILLS PERSON. Really, it's darwinism at work, people need to be more responsible. Same with the scratching issues with the nanos...

my 2 cents....

Sorry, I could of chose a better subject, but the fact remains that you and I know better that it wasn't the iPod's fault. The media is giving Apple and iPod trademarks a bad name, when it's some stupid person's fault. Lets not forget that someone is suing Apple because they have impaired hearing because they were stupid enough to listen to their iPod so loudly.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Isn't it illegal to ride a bike with headphones on in most places these days anyway because it impedes your ability to hear traffic? Seems they should be dealing with the more likely idea that she was breaking the law, not just that she was using an iPod.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Endymion

Isn't it illegal to ride a bike with headphones on in most places these days anyway because it impedes your ability to hear traffic?

It is when you are driving a car...still I see people doing it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    The stupid thing about the law forbidding listening to headphones in cars is two fold, handsfree kits for mobiles that are required in the car in many places are headphones and second most new cars are better insulated against sound than a set of headphones would accomplish.

Quote:

Originally posted by wgauvin

I just found this URL to a news article about an Aussie female cyclist was killed because she couldn't hear the traffic due to her iPod.

Wow dead people talk now. Only person who knows why she was killed is dead. Anybody saying the iPod was a factor is speculating. There are bike accidents where people have no music device on.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

Really, it's darwinism at work, people need to be more responsible.

Yup. It's called "thinning the herd." Weak animals (like inattentive cyclists and drivers) get killed and don't reproduce, making the herd stronger. Darwin would be proud.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

Yup. It's called "thinning the herd." Weak animals (like inattentive cyclists and drivers) get killed and don't reproduce, making the herd stronger. Darwin would be proud.

Well, unfortunately, sometimes the "weaker" ones take out the "stronger" ones.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Well, unfortunately, sometimes the "weaker" ones take out the "stronger" ones.

enter: H2...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

agreed. if it wasn't this then she would have died tomorrow from choking on a juice box.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Anyone who rides a bike with their iPod (me, all the time) knows that, unless you have the music on extremely loud, the standard earphones don't block out outside noise at all.

There's another lawsuit about how the iPod's standard earphones don't block out outside noise, and so people turn them way up, which damages hearing. So which is it: Either they block outside noise in which case the hearing lawsuit it bunk, or they don't in which case blaming this accident on the iPod is bunk.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I use mine all the time too and your right they do not block outside sound at all. Poor girl and all but she was just being careless.