How does the PBG4 15" compare with the new MacBook Pro spec's to you?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Apple has bumped the processor spec's and basically upset the balance of traditional Apple thinking, I got to thinking about the two lines of 15" notebooks.

I ask because the PPC is on the way out and Adobe isn't there yet with universal binaries (which is probably the biggest hangup for most of us). With all the conflicting report of rosetta, it seems that if you have a lot of ram, rosetta is going to get you by until universal app's are ready.

I would be/am torn between the two. However, I think the nod goes to the MacBook Pro because two 2.16 GHz cores with 2 GB ram has to win out over the G4 for most people. Don't you think?

If you were in the line for a notebook computer and 15" was your choice, would you still seriously consider a PPC G4 15" over the fastest GHz MacBook Pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I think just the Dual Core part will put MBP over the edge, however in the short term the PPC has alot more 3rd party native apps (i.e. Photoshop). The processor bump is just going to open the gap more. Photoshop is still going to run slower for a while, but this processor increase will take some bight out of having to go through Rosetta.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I'm sold on the MacBook Pro. This undoubtedly has something to do with the fact that I don't depend on applications like Photoshop (though I will be running PS CS2), but I see little reason to go for the PowerBook. They cost the same (the 1.67 GHz 15" PowerBook G4 and 1.83 GHz MacBook Pro), yet I'm getting a faster processor, faster RAM, a faster FSB, a faster video card, and nifty extras like FrontRow and the built-in iSight (the latter two of which I am really excited about). The only thing that might put me off, personally, is the wait to get one--but I've waited five weeks so far, so another one or two won't kill me. (Any more than that, though, and I might have to learn how to tie a noose.)

EDIT: Oh, and the mystery behind the battery life of the MBP can be a worry, though I'm trusting that Apple wouldn't release a MBP with only, say, a three-hour charge.