windows xp

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
does windows run on dos anymore?

what does it run on now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    xp does...not sure what version...Vista supposedly was made from scratch, so it SHOULDN'T have it, but it prolly does still...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

xp does...not sure what version...Vista supposedly was made from scratch, so it SHOULDN'T have it, but it prolly does still...

someone told me they run on kernel? i thought kernel was just a term?

also, i read some where that microsoft stopped support ms-dos in 2000?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Last i heard XP still uses it..and while trying futily to fix my xp, and going around the web looking for ways to get it running, it seemed that DOS was still in effect. For certain though it was w/ 98 and ME...and most likely XP
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Last i heard XP still uses it..and while trying futily to fix my xp, and going around the web looking for ways to get it running, it seemed that DOS was still in effect. For certain though it was w/ 98 and ME...and most likely XP

Nope.

NT begat 2000 which begat XP.

NT and its descendents are not DOS based.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by palter

Nope.

NT begat 2000 which begat XP.

NT and its descendents are not DOS based.

They do however have a DOS-like command line, that can run DOS bat files. I'm not sure a bootable floopy can read NTFS, but it's worth a try.

For the record, Vista is rewritting the command line, apparently MS realised that power users do want and need a decent command line. They're using an object-orientated cmd line, but it's still going to be like dos for compatability reasons.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    so what do they currently run on?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I heard Vista still has Windows 3.1 remnants.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

so what do they currently run on?

Elixir,

I think you're thinking that Win3.1 used to have to be started from DOS. The Win9x/ME line still did this but in the background, ie a DOS-like command shell was loaded and then Windows was booted. The Win NT/2000/XP line uses a bootloader to load the kernel, just like Mac OS/Linux/UNIX and probably other POSIX style OSes.