Sherlock! Yes, Sherlock :)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

Afrer al;most a year of owning a Mac, I tried Sherlock for the first time (yes, really!). And I found that the "Pbhotos" icon or channel or whatever, had been greyed out. Any ideas on why that might be?

I also added the PHONE BOIOK as a channel and found th at also to be greyed out.

any ideas why?

I tried to RTFM as much as I could but I found nothing, hence this post in this forum.

Thanks and cheers

Edited to add "I should stop posting when I have had 400 ml of scotch inside me!"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rara Posts: 623member
    Sherlock is mostly dead and has been for quite awhile now. I have no idea whey the keep shipping it with the OS. Anyway, most of its functionality is available through the Dashboard.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Hi Ra,

Thanks for the quick response.

I am still on Panther, so Dashboard is a bit irrelevant for me at this point

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Yeah sorry, but Apple has kinda "unoffically" killed Sherlock. But even though you are on Panther, you might still be able to access Dashboard widgets via Safari.

Download a widget. It will download as a folder. Go inside that folder and open the HTML file with Safari. This will load the widget in its simplest form inside Safari because Dashboard uses Webkit to render widgets. I don't know if Apple has prevented this is newer versions of Safari for Panther, but it worked for me last year when I wanted to try out Dashboard widgets, but didn't have Tiger yet.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks Mike Moriarty (very Sherlock Holmes )

I was in an Apple reseller's store today and was playing around with an iMac and curiously enough, noticed that Tiger still had Sherlock available! Odd eh!

Anyway, thanks for your response. My question was more out of academic interest than out of any real necessity to use Sherlock. I just sort of stumbled upon it when exploring my Applications folder and was playing around and found it interesting, that's all

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yeah, Sherlock still comes with OS X Tiger. That's why I said "unofficially" killed it. They still offer it, but have pushed developers to go with Dashboard.

I used Sherlock a lot before Tiger. But Apple is more focused on Dashboard now. You can find some widgets that do the same thing as the Photo search and Phone book in Sherlock if you ever need to use them.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Thanks

Cheers