How can I open the CD tray of my imac G4 with a new keyboard from my new Imac G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I just purchase a 17"imac G5, I want to sell my old imac G4 but I want to keep my wireless keyboard that I bought before and want to sell my old imac with the new keyboard that come with the new imac G5.

But when I try to use the new keyboard with my old mac the eject buttom doesn't work. I can't open the CD tray.

Does anyone know how to open the CD tray without using the keyboard?

Is it not compatible?

Thanks for your help

sev

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by severine26

Hi,

Does anyone know how to open the CD tray without using the keyboard?

sev

Go into /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ folder.

Double-click the file "Eject.menu". This will install the Eject icon in the menu bar next to the clock, Spotlight, etc.

To remove it, command-drag it off the menu bar.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The eject key on the keyboard should be compatible with the old iMac so I don't know what's up.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Go into /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ folder.

Double-click the file "Eject.menu". This will install the Eject icon in the menu bar next to the clock, Spotlight, etc.

To remove it, command-drag it off the menu bar.

thank you so much for your fast response, it works great
  • Reply 4 of 6
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    The problem you are having is the assumption that the iMac G5 even has a CD "Tray".

In fact, the iMac G5 has a slot-loading disc drive (located on the right side of the system).

To inset a disk, merely slide it into the slit.

To eject it, hit the eject key on your keyboard.

Hitting the eject key without a disc in the slot will do nothing.

- Xidius
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

The problem you are having is the assumption that the iMac G5 even has a CD "Tray".

In fact, the iMac G5 has a slot-loading disc drive (located on the right side of the system).

It's not the G5 that he is asking about. It's the G4. The iMac G4 has a tray-loading optical drive.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

It's not the G5 that he is asking about. It's the G4. The iMac G4 has a tray-loading optical drive.

Ahhhhhh... I skimmed and saw "just bought g5" ... "sold g4" ... "tray won't open" ...

=P

- Xidius