Can I install the Aiprport Extreme card in my Rev B G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have just moved in with my mate who has a wireless network set up in his place. I am looking at buying the Airport extreme card to install in my Dual 2 G5 Rev B...

1. Can I install it myself? Or do I need to get an Apple technician to do it for me?

2. Does trhe card work with any wireless network or only the Apple Airport base station?

Thanks.

iDunno

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

I have just moved in with my mate who has a wireless network set up in his place. I am looking at buying the Airport extreme card to install in my Dual 2 G5 Rev B...

1. Can I install it myself? Or do I need to get an Apple technician to do it for me?

2. Does trhe card work with any wireless network or only the Apple Airport base station?

Thanks.

iDunno

Yes it should be fine. Unlike with the old non-extreme Airport cards, I've never installed one of these as my G5s and my PB already had them pre-installed. Still, I'm sure someone here can let you know for sure.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDunno

Yes, absolutely. You just plug it in and attach the antenna wire that is already there in the G5. I believe there are step by step instructions in the pamphlet that comes with the G5.

Here is a link to the PDF that explains how to install things in the G5:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/cip/pdf/g5/apec_c.pdf

Quote:

It will work with just about any 802.11b/g device. If your roommate's network is off a wireless router, it is almost guaranteed to work.