Wireless connection to firewire drive...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So, please move this to Genius Bar if it's more that sort of thing, but what I'm asking is if anyone knows a way to make my Firewire harddrive accessible to my iBook G4 using inexpensive wireless equipment. All I want is to be able to access movies and such stored on my Firewire drive without being connected by the firewire cable - but no farther than a few rooms away at maximum. Is there any way to attach an Airport base system or some sort of router to the drive, short of setting up a whole other computer as a server? I don't really know how this sort of thing works, so if it's absolutely preposterous please just tell me that, too. You can see, though, why I'd want to hook this up... essentially a way to keep my laptop fully functional as such, but with the added storage space I had to invest in.

thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Not with firewire. There are solutions that use USB though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Sorry - forgot to mention - it has USB 2.0 as well.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    This one seems to be pretty popular. You just plug in your USB drive and it becomes a networked hard drive.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

This one seems to be pretty popular. You just plug in your USB drive and it becomes a networked hard drive.

I wonder how fast I could perform a SuperDuper backup of my computer on that? Cool link! I may have to pick one of those up! I need to reclaim some desk space and a FW port on my iMac. Moving a hard drive to another room would take care of that!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

IS this a "wireless" solution?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    He said he had an Airport base station. You just plug this gizmo into that and he is all set. Unless he is already using that port, then he would need to gat a switch.