One Tiger problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have mac os X 10.4.5 on a powerbook 1,25 G4. 1 GB ram.

I'm realy happy whit Tiger but I have one problem that is realy getting on my nerves now. I have been hoping that one of the point updates from 10.4.3 10.4.4 or 10.4.5 would fix this. But it is still there.

The problem is that when a program tries to open a save or open file window (I use mainly photoshop, illustrator, indesign, flash, dreamweaver and some scanning software) it takes ages! I see this spinning ball for a long time, but this is just the first time that I open the save or open window. If I open it again after doing it one time it is instant.

Is there anyone out there whit this problem?

Is there a cure?

Pliz help!

Thx for your time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The same kind of thing was driving me crazy, too, but with my new Quad. I think I finally figured out that it was only happening when the drive had spun down and my computer had to access the directory.

Your description sounds similar.

Same symptoms.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    So if I tell my powerbook not to put the hard drive to sleep when its possible this wont happen?

I realy hope so because its annoying.

Thx for your response!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Also check your .Mac preferences, if you have iDisk synchronizing set to automatic that can cause delays too.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hiro

Also check your .Mac preferences, if you have iDisk synchronizing set to automatic that can cause delays too.

Oh, yes! I finally turned iDisk off.

My computers are all pretty fast, but the delays weren't worth it!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Thank you for al your tips, but I have my idisk on manual so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

It diden't help to tell my powerbook not to put the hard drive to sleep when its possible. So I still have no cure for this problem.

Is there nothing I can do?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cube

Thank you for al your tips, but I have my idisk on manual so that shouldn't be a problem, right?

It diden't help to tell my powerbook not to put the hard drive to sleep when its possible. So I still have no cure for this problem.

Is there nothing I can do?

MAX

No, you have to turn iDisk synching off altogether. This bug is at least several years old. I have sent logs of the Spin Control app to ADC and they just mark the bug as "duplicate" but never do anything about it.

I think everyone on this page should re-file this bug. Here is how:

- if you have the Developer Tools installed, Spin Control is in the Applications/Performance folder. Set it to log all spins.

- If you do not want to install the Dev Tools, then have Activity Monitor running (set to sort by name, the first column) and when you get the spinlock:

1. switch to Activity Monitor

2. double-click the app that is spinning

3. in the window that appears, click the Sample button at the lower left.

4. when the sample completes, click Save Log at the top right and include that file in the Bug Report.

To file the Bug Report, go to http://bugreport.apple.com and fill out the form. You have to open System Profiler and have it generate a System Profiler Report so you can include that in your Bug Report. To do this, choose About This Mac from the Apple Menu, click More Info, then choose Full Profile from the View Menu, then choose Save As... from File and upload that text file when you fill out the Bug Reporter screen.

You need an ADC account to file a bug report. You can get a free "online" ADC account by signing up at http://connect.apple.com
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I finally quit using idisk for anything. What a drain on my computer's time and my patience. Good idea. Not reasonably implemented.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    iDisk has never been a problem for me-- unless I'm missing something. I click on it from Finder to launch it, drop in whatever I need to store, then eject it. Accessing it only when I need to is a snap. It's been a life saver for me.