Apple begins widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.4.6

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week began providing to its developers the first external pre-release builds of Mac OS X 10.4.6 -- the sixth maintenance update to the company's Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system, which made its debut last April.

According to tipsters and reports already present on several Internet Web sites, Apple issued builds for both PowerPC (build 8I109) and Intel (build 8I1102) Macintosh systems.

While the Intel build places emphasis on the ongoing improvements to the company's Rosetta emulation environment for Mac OS X for Intel, the remainder of the enhancements are common amongst both builds.

Specifically, Mac OS X 10.4.6 is said to focus on Automator, Bluetooth, Cocoa, Carbon, Core Graphics, graphics drivers, hard and optical disc management, .Mac, Printing and Safari.

The builds, which weigh in at approximately 131MB and 166MB in Combo Updater form, already include over four dozen enhancements and bug fixes over Mac OS X 10.4.5, which Apple released just last week.

Certain milestones of Mac OS X 10.4.6 Update are believed by sources to provide software support for Apple's upcoming consumer Macintosh offerings such as the Intel iBook and Mac mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    If true, I guess this makes a stronger case that next week's new product announcement just might be the Mactel iBooks and Mini.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenstee

If true, I guess this makes a stronger case that next week's new product announcement just might be the Mactel iBooks and Mini.

I initially thought that too, but then, would Apple need just a week to test 10.4.6 on large-scale basis? Of course, it could be that us just getting word of this now means that it's been in development for quite some time.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    wow, can't wait for 10.4.12, "several new updates such as: THIS MOTHER WILL BE HACKER-PROOF!"
  • Reply 4 of 35
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Specifically, Mac OS X 10.4.6 is said to focus on Automator, Bluetooth, Cocoa, Carbon, Core Graphics, graphics drivers, hard and optical disc management, .Mac, Printing and Safari.

Apple should add Mail to that list
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

Doesn't disabling remote images in Mail solve the problem?

Still, that's a nasty bug.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    10.4.5 came out in time for the MacBook Pros so 10.4.6 for some other new gear wouldn't surprise me at all. Think we'll get a new iTunes too?
  • Reply 7 of 35
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JavaCowboy

Doesn't disabling remote images in Mail solve the problem?

No
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

No

Care to elaborate?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:

Care to elaborate?

Because you can still click on the image and download it... and then all hell breaks loose.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Because you can still click on the image and download it... and then all hell breaks loose.

OK, assuming I'm not stupid or a technophobe, how does this hurt me? If I can't see the imagine, I'm sure as hell not going to click on the blocked image to downloaded it.

As long as the image doesn't auto-execute, I don't care.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by theapplegenius

wow, can't wait for 10.4.12, "several new updates such as: THIS MOTHER WILL BE HACKER-PROOF!"

Some suggested why 10.4.5 came out as soon as it did, was because of the hacks linked to from the OSx86 site. I'm not going to link to them here, because I don't want to get Appleinsider in trouble as well.

That's likely why it was so sparse, and why 10.4.6 is so advanced already. What we're seeing now in .6 was probably going to be (mostly, at least) released in 10.4.5 when it was ready.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

OK, assuming I'm not stupid or a technophobe, how does this hurt me? If I can't see the imagine, I'm sure as hell not going to click on the blocked image to downloaded it.

As long as the image doesn't auto-execute, I don't care.

One solution is to move Terminal out of Applications/Utilities until Apple comes out with a fix. This problem uses Terminal to do its nasty. When you move Terminal, it can't find it, and does nothing.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

OK, assuming I'm not stupid or a technophobe

Well it doesn't hurt *you* but it hurts others that just don't think before clicking on images.

Just continue using Thunderbird until there's a fix
  • Reply 14 of 35
    The build number of the PowerPC version is 8I109. 109! Apple has traditionally numbered the PowerPC releases sequentially. I can't remember one that hit over 100 except for maybe a beta of a new OS version (like Tiger). I think that alone signifies that this has been in the works for a long time. Someone else's post about 10.4.5 being rushed out to support/upgrade the new iMacs and MacBook Pros now makes sense. If 10.4.6 is released soon, my (and his) theory would be correct.

By the way, I've never been able to figure out the Intel-based OS numbering system.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm not too worried about the build numbers. Not only has the Mac OS X release schedule been extended but I'm sure there were tons of extra builds relating to the x86 version.

But either way we'll know more next Tuesday. Interesting that the billionth song was sold tonight.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Some suggested why 10.4.5 came out as soon as it did, was because of the hacks linked to from the OSx86 site. I'm not going to link to them here, because I don't want to get Appleinsider in trouble as well.

That's likely why it was so sparse, and why 10.4.6 is so advanced already. What we're seeing now in .6 was probably going to be (mostly, at least) released in 10.4.5 when it was ready.

That is incredibly unlikely given the amount of time it takes to properly do QA on a patch. Most likely 10.4.5 was just a small patch.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    I must say that it seems pretty crazy how Apple has been on top of these updates. Seems their release cycle is completely accelerated to a point I haven't seen before. Despite if their motives are to make Mac OS X hack proof (this is a good thing in my mind) or not isn't really that big of a deal. We get changelogs from developers so that we know what they did. The list of things they are updating is staggering when compared to new features when other companies release updates, and that can't be denied. After all its not like most other companies even give you new featuures in updates. Most make you pay for new stuff these days.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Perhaps 10.4.6 will be put in to the Tiger boxes? This is a large release, and the last one was 10.4.3
  • Reply 19 of 35
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

It's not a Safari or a Mail problem - the file could be on a CD and still do the same damage. It's a system flaw just as the previous (and almost identical) file identifier flaw.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

10.4.5 came out in time for the MacBook Pros so 10.4.6 for some other new gear wouldn't surprise me at all. Think we'll get a new iTunes too?

Yes. Since iTunes is updated every Tuesday, and this event is on Tuesday, I think we'll definetily (sp!?) see a new iTunes. Possibly iTunes 7, to go with the Home entertainment system that they will be releasing. (I hope)

And as long as they don't change the name of the iBook, I'm okay with whatever they do. Maybe they could bring back the lime green option. <smiles with glee>