iSight Not Working on AFF Website

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A friend of mine <coughs nervously> is trying to use an iSight camera on a site called Adultfriendfinder.com and he can't seem to get the thing working. I am told that the tech support for that site has not found any problems on their end. The only requirement is that you cannot be using your camera with any other program while "broadcasting" on the AFF site.

Does "my friend" need to change some preference or anything else to make this work?

PowerBook G4 Running 10.4.4

iSight Camera w/ 1.0.2 updater

Tried using with Safari, IE 5.2, and Firefox 1.5.0.1

Funny, that's the same stuff I'm currently running on my powerbook! Hmmmm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    What's the FAQ or instructions on the site for video conferencing? I'm thinking there isn't an obvious way to make a web site know that you have an iSight.

Once we see the info, we may be able to figure out how to re-route the camera away from iChat and PhotoBooth, which is where OS X expects to use it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    The sites FAQ read as follows:

"You must have a webcam connected to your computer to broadcast. We suggest the Logitech® QuickCam for optimal compatibility.

To get started, simply click on the Broadcast Your Webcam link on the member home page, or the Launch Your Webcam link on the webcam browsing page, and you're on your way. You must choose the "Allow" option to stream your feed, and you cannot be broadcasting through another system (such as AIM or YIM) while using our feature.

Once you start broadcasting, you have the option of sending audio. Plus, you'll be able to see who's watching your broadcast, get in touch with viewers through IM, or even block viewers if you wish."
  • Reply 3 of 7
    That sounds like the site uses Flash to broadcast the webcam. Does the page load correctly? Do you get the "Allow" dialogue?

Exactly what happens?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Whyatt,

You are right, it is flash. When you click "Launch Webcam" a new window opens. In that new window I click a button that reads "Yes, Broadcast my Webcam". Then a second window opens containing a flash dialogue box asking if I want to "Allow" them to access my Video & Audio or to "Deny" them to access it.

After I click "Allow" a thrid window opens up and, other than the fact that my webcam (iSite) is not broadcasting, everything else appears to function properly.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I am having this exact problem with the exact same symptoms. But the thread seems to end here. Any more help out there for us AFF users to use our iSights with this system?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I was able to solve this problem sometime after posting this question and I forgot to post the solution. Sorry about that.

Anyhow, here's how to solve it. First of all, make sure that you have the latest flash player installed. I think it's Flashplayer 9. Then, make sure your iSight camera is plugged in and is NOT running in any other application (quit out of iChat). Go to AFF and go to chat. Enter the Flash version of the room. On the upper left side of the page right-click on "Broadcast Web Cam" and select "settings". Select "Firewire" connection and then click on the clunky looking camera icon. Then click on the larger blank white box just above it. Your camera should then turn on.

I found that once I set these settings I could chat in either Flash or HTML chat without a problem and I rarely have to go back to the settings again. Also, you might have to monkey around with the settings because I talked another Mac user through it a couple of weeks back and they didn't click the exact buttions but got good results.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I think I might have found the solution...

The key is to get the right settings under the flash preferences. For that you have to select USB Video Class Video as the Cam to use, once done that you can check your streaming video on the little square above.