I think my iBook has died - HELP!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Tried to turn on iBook G4 and it doesn't boot, no power light on the front, only the fan runs at full speed. Tried resetting the PMU and PRAM, also tried to access the iBook in Target Disk Mode from my eMac to no avail, it's always just the fan which powers up. Looking at the iBook discussions on Apple's support pages, it seems that the logic board is screwed. The iBook is only just over a month out of warranty, it was only bought at the end of January 2005. Is there no hope? Really feel like bursting into tears at this point...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Yeah doesn't sound good. If you try to put it in target disk mode and you don't get the firewire logo on the screen I'd get concerned.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Yeah doesn't sound good. If you try to put it in target disk mode and you don't get the firewire logo on the screen I'd get concerned.

Well I just found this...

http://www.the-set.com/ibook-dilemma/first-post
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Take it to a Mac Store. They know of the Logic Board problem and will probably not give you a hassle. They fixed my (out of warranty) ibook, no questions asked.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Phoned Apple this morning and after making it obvious I wasn't going to take any cr*p, they've agreed to repair or replace the iBook as it's less than a month out of warranty.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quiksilver

Phoned Apple this morning and after making it obvious I wasn't going to take any cr*p, they've agreed to repair or replace the iBook as it's less than a month out of warranty.

Good to hear.