Wozniak criticizes Apple's Intel move

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

February 24, 2006 - 14:25 EST In an interview with Toronto's Globe & Mail, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, while praising the iPod's success, criticizes Apple's decision to move to Intel-based Macs. "It's like consorting with the enemy," says Wozniak in the interview. "We've had this long history of saying the enemy is the big black-hatted guys, and they kind of represent evil. We are different, and by being different we're better," he says. "All of a sudden we're the same in this hardware regard, so it's a little hard to swallow your words from the past." Wozniak also feels Apple should consider spinning off the iPod into a separate division.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

February 24, 2006 - 14:25 EST In an interview with Toronto's Globe & Mail, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, while praising the iPod's success, criticizes Apple's decision to move to Intel-based Macs. "It's like consorting with the enemy," says Wozniak in the interview. "We've had this long history of saying the enemy is the big black-hatted guys, and they kind of represent evil. We are different, and by being different we're better," he says. "All of a sudden we're the same in this hardware regard, so it's a little hard to swallow your words from the past." Wozniak also feels Apple should consider spinning off the iPod into a separate division.

Ever since I had to listen to Woz go on and on about his yellow laser on TWiT, I usually just tune out everything he has recently said. Honestly, Apple was stuck with a G4 in PowerBooks for what, like 5 years?

Every one seems to complain about the switch to Intel. What about the positive switch to a processor independent OS? As a employee of Apple (Woz), I would be very happy about the future possibilities inherit with such a move.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Woz also says, in the same article, that Apple should spin off the iPod division because it's too tangential to Apple.

He's a good engineer, an amazing programmer, but he has neither business nor common sense.

edit: oops, that part got posted...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Read between the lines, guys. He's saying that Apple used to say that Intel was the bad guy and has now had to back away from that because Apple now knows better. Hence his statement about swollowing your words.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    a lot of people are hating the switch?

i've heard a hell of a lot more people praising it then hating it.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Read between the lines, guys. He's saying that Apple used to say that Intel was the bad guy and has now had to back away from that because Apple now knows better. Hence his statement about swollowing your words.

Before that, Apple used to say that IBM was the bad guy. So nothings really new about Apple swallowing words...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

Let me get this streight, Intel is the "big evil black hat" and IBM is...what, chop sui?

I guess it isnt 1984 any more...
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Ever since I had to listen to Woz go on and on about his yellow laser on TWiT, I usually just tune out everything he has recently said. Honestly, Apple was stuck with a G4 in PowerBooks for what, like 5 years?

Every one seems to complain about the switch to Intel. What about the positive switch to a processor independent OS? As a employee of Apple (Woz), I would be very happy about the future possibilities inherit with such a move.

Woz has a token position at best, he has a shitload of stock, so they tell him what they are going to do, he responds, they ignore and go on anyway, as they should, and Woz feels all warm and fuzzy.

Woz walked out at a HUGE turning point for Apple, lisa -> Macintosh, why should they have any loyalty to him?

Imagine Bill Gates wlaking away from MS the day before Windows 3.1 shipped...would MS owe him loyalty now?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Woz may have been a technical genius, but he isnt a busines man, thats for sure...

One old saying comes to mind here, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"
  • Reply 9 of 10
    IBM no longer makes notebooks so in that segment they are not a bad guy to Apple. There are no bad guys. IBM, Intel, and Microsoft all have the right to do business. Microsoft for example made the deals to be successful. It's not their fault that Steve decided not to follow the same licensing path. Their are no bad guys. Just different approaches to business.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    The new generation of mac users have risen above the battles of the past. There was no choice but to go to Intel. Woz still thinks like an old Mac guy. That's not a bad thing, but it is what it is.