best way to use iTunes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have 2253 mp3s and I use Soundjam....I use soundjam because I really like being able to organize my mp3s in folders on one big playlist....but I think I should switch to itunes because I may get an iPod soon, and iTunes is still being supported.at any rate

what do you suppose is the best way to organize such a large amount of mp3s? should I make a playlist for every album? or do you think every artist? or just throw them all on the library? is there a way I could say tell iTunes to make playlists based on all the folders in my mp3 folder?(every folder a new playlist)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    Actually, all the MP3s you have -are- in the library, and then you sort them into playlists. How you want make the playlists is up to you really.

The easiest way to get them into iTunes? Drag the folder that has all of your MP3s in it right from the finder to the itunes library window, and let it sort through everything.

iTunes works best if you have all of the ID3 tags allredy in the MP3s, then you can sort your library list by song name, artist, album, genre, etc.

--PB
  • Reply 2 of 3
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    If you're just listening to mp3's, the best way to organize your songs is to use the intuitive Browse feature. It lets you quickly select what you want to hear based on Artist, Album, etc., and you can quickly switch to another category.

I would only make playlists if I wanted to separate my music into different styles, or I was transfering/burning them to an mp3 player/CD.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I sort my songs either in a playlist, in the library only, or not even on the iPod based on how I answer these questions:

1. Do I really like this song, and would I like to hear it if it came up randomly?

2. Do I kind of like this song, and I wouldn't want it to come up randomly but I would maybe like to listen to it sometimes?

3. Do I really not like this song and I'd never listen to it?

So all the songs that I answer "yes" to for question 1 go into a playlist based on their genre. For question 2, they go on my iPod but not into a playlist. For question 3, they don't even go on the iPod. That's the easiest way to organize. Then I just go to the genre of music I want to hear and I set it to shuffle. I only get songs I really like. I used to put every song of a particular genre into a playlist, but I tended to skip forward often if there was a song that I only sometimes liked.