New special edition iPod, other accessories may arrive soon

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer may soon unveil a new special edition iPod and some other iPod- and music-related accessories, AppleInsider has gathered.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based iPod maker is rumored to have completed arrangements with third parties to debut a special or limited edition iPod, which is reportedly similar to the black and red U2-branded model that made its debut in Oct. of 2004.

The iPod, believed by some to be one and the same with the recently-rumored red-colored AIDS awareness iPod, may be tacked on to Apple's announcements this Tuesday, sources have said.

Additionally, the company is also believed to be tying together marketing materials for a few other small iPod accessories of unknown nature, which would presumably arrive alongside an announcement of the new iPod model and an update to its iTunes digital jukebox software.

Apple on Tuesday will hold a special media event on its campus to announce some "fun new products," the company teased in a digital invited distributed to select analysts and members of the media last week.

Some key new products expected to debut at the event include Apple's first Intel-based Mac mini desktop computers and a new iPod Boombox audio system that will provide plug-and-plug audio for the living-room.

Attendance for the event is expected to be extremely limited, as it takes place at the Town Hall Auditorium on Apple's Campus -- a venue which is suited to accommodate only a few hundred people.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    one AND the same
  • Reply 2 of 53
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jrpacman

one AND the same

That was really hardcore for you 5th post in 4 years.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A Red iPod sounds really cool... whether it has touchscreen, teleportation and time travel features or not

If that IS what the special edition rumors lead to, I wonder if there will be a choice of Nano or Regular, or only one?

And I predict TWO new iTunes versions tomorrow: iTunes 7 in the morning, and iTunes 8 later on.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i am beginning to get the feeling that there are way too many announcements being rumored to get devoted time to each. so what we may get is, rather than an item-by-tem breakdown, we get a bird's eye view of the mac media landscape. ipod add-ons (ipod socks 2.0!), new mac mini's, front row 2.0 (PLEASE), and airport express that can stream video to the tv, etc. i just can't see steve dwelling on an ipod boombox for more than about 2 minutes. but if they go after microsoft's media center RIGHT NOW, both guns blazing, we may see something really catch fire.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    We need a new thread for this?
  • Reply 6 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    roll on tomorrow!

Roll on, roll on, I wish I had a time machine!

Oh by the way that Airport express(video) wont be here till at least late 2006, mid 2007!
  • Reply 7 of 53
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    AIDS is FUN
  • Reply 8 of 53
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Gotta love those "muisc-related accessories".
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

AIDS is FUN

i don't think our friends in Africa would appreciate that comment.
  • Reply 10 of 53
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

We need a new thread for this?

I agree, this looked like a 100% rumor recap. I'm surprised that the various Intel Mac rumors weren't recapped, or is that article due tonight?
  • Reply 11 of 53
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't think he was making fun of AIDS or suggesting it's not a worthy cause. I think it was just a joke noting the morbid irony of Apple emphasizing "fun" in their announcement, and then that announcement potentially covering AIDS prevention.

Morbid yes, but the irony is there
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

I don't think he was making fun of AIDS or suggesting it's not a worthy cause. I think it was just a joke noting the morbid irony of Apple emphasizing "fun" in their announcement, and then that announcement potentially covering AIDS prevention.

Morbid yes, but the irony is there

Yes I presume it should have had a question mark after it
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by syklee26

i don't think our friends in Africa would appreciate that comment.

More fun than dying from ebola, genocide or stavartion. Besides, AIDS doesn't kill you, it's the secondary infection.

I spent 9 months in east Africa, what a shithole. I'm glad my ancestors were smart enough to pick up and move to Europe 10,000 years ago or so.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Perhaps the fun products are Disney or Pixar themed iPod videos with pre-loaded Disney and Pixar content... possibly even full-length movies!!! 8)
  • Reply 15 of 53
    I appreciated the irony of Anders' remark, and I'd otherwise have reason to be offended...and I'm not African.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Incidentally, how many people have seen this Microsoft product film... "Origami"?

http://creativecoremedia.com/mso.swf
  • Reply 17 of 53
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpamSandwich

Perhaps the fun products are Disney or Pixar themed iPod videos with pre-loaded Disney and Pixar content... possibly even full-length movies!!! 8)

iPods don't come pre-loaded with ANYTHING. For now, their very configuration dictates that they won't, either.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

iPods don't come pre-loaded with ANYTHING. For now, their very configuration dictates that they won't, either.

You'll recall that they sold the U2 special edition preloaded with the entire U2 catalog... unless I'm mistaken (I didn't buy one).
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

AIDS is FUN

Sorry, this isnt another "Apple Is Dead Soon" subject!

(Sorry, could'nt resist. Hope I didnt upset anyone!)
  • Reply 20 of 53
    grafgraf Posts: 22member
    I'm afraid you're wrong there - they shipped with a voucher offering a discount on buying the entire U2 back catalog on iTunes. They didn't have any music preloaded on them.