Website Colour Scheme? (Windows>Mac Difference)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey

I'm a recent switcher, and can't say how pleased I am with the whole experience

I was viewing the websites I created when I was using Windows, and have noticed that the graphics I've made dont match the colour scheme from the hexidecimal colour codes on the pages.

e.g. http://www.smclintock.co.uk/seafood (the 2 images at the top)

http://www.smclintock.co.uk (the rounded corners on the right)

When I view them on Windows in either IE or Firefox, the colours are fine, but when viewing them on a mac in Safari the colour scheme for the images just isnt the same as the colours used in the php / html files.

Is this is a common problem? Does anyone know how I can fix it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    What about when you use FireFox for the Mac? Or what if you download the images and open them in Preview.

My guess is that your color calibration on the Mac or the Mac's Display is not the same as the PCs you use or that the display you're using is sufficiently different.

No matter, if you go to the "Displays" System Preference pane and select the "Color" tab you can select alternate color profiles or use the "Calibrate..." button to create a custom calibrated profile for your display, lighting conditions, and environment in general.

I'm generally pretty anal about color calibration and this is one of the things I do. Sometimes I'm happy with the default profile (depends on the support for display) whereas sometimes I calibrate it myself.

One thing of note is that Windows and Mac OS use slightly different gamma settings which can impact things slightly. However, if you have a PC and Mac connected to the same display that is correctly calibrated, they should look practically identical. Keyword: should.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hmm, i see.

I viewed the websites in IE (on my mac) and the colours are fine, so I guess it's just the way Safari is translating the colour of them.

Does everyone else see the colours different in Safari?

I've re-saved them all in photoshop and re-uploaded them to see if the embedded colour setting changes when there viewed in Safari, but no changes yet.

Edit: Fixed , Changed the colour scheme in System Preferences and all the websites look fine now

Thanks, much appreciated!