rosetta speed question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have lots of powerpc apps that i will probably not be upgrading any time soon. Can some of you tech guys tell me what intel processor speed will make my programs run at 100% or faster under rosetta. Im looking for specs because when they reach that speed is when I probably will start transitioning to intel machines.

thanks Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    At the moment, none of them. Emulaton , no matter how optimised, will be much slower. It will take a really long time for the Intel macs to reach 100% emulation of the PPC macs. There will be UBs for everything by then anyway.

FOOTNOTE: Rosetta is really good and unless you have anything over say..1GHz G4, you wont see much of a speed decrease. Just get 2GBs of RAM.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

I have lots of powerpc apps that i will probably not be upgrading any time soon. Can some of you tech guys tell me what intel processor speed will make my programs run at 100% or faster under rosetta. Im looking for specs because when they reach that speed is when I probably will start transitioning to intel machines.

thanks Scott

If your PPC rig(s) are doing what you need done, dont sweat it, just save all your money and do your next upgrade cycle for everything at once. Give it 11 months and I predict all the important apps will go native
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    well...like i say I will probably be running my current software even when UB are available so thats why it is important to me, I really would love to have the hypothetical specs for an intel to emulate a powerpc at 100%, using to numbers, last generation g4 and last generation g5.

and since photoshop is the intensive program usually touted we should use that, although I also will be using final cut pro, dvd studio etc
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I hope my question can be answered because it is important to me to be at least running at the same speed across the board when I switch, I will then start repurchasing software over a long period of time.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    If you really actually think that Rosetta will run FCP/Photoshop and whatever other Pro Apps at full speed, i'm going to have to call you a moron. Adobe's CS won't go UB until CS3, and the Pro Apps should go UB soon.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

I really would love to have the hypothetical specs for an intel to emulate a powerpc at 100%,

100% of what? A G3/350? A G4/800? A G5/2.7GHz? What is your "100%" reference?

My 512MB 17" Intel iMac seems to run at about the speed of 2 G4/800s on an emulated app I run a lot. That's pure number crunching, UI and graphics performance is much better, though.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    nope..im not a moron..but thanks, I currently have a 1.67 powerbook g4 so that is my base line, all I am saying is that at some point an intel chip will run fast enough that even in emulation mode (rosetta) the performance of my current apps will equal or exceed the performance I have now, I was just trying to get a handle on what that speed is because its already been reported that rosetta will not run photoshop and others as fast.

so am I looking at 3ghz dual core to do that for example?

I felt like it was a legit question, sorry if you think Im a moron for asking it.