Best Backup Software?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey

I'm a recent switcher and now that all my important documents, photos and files are stored on my newly puchased iBook, i'd like to know if theres a program out there that will let me backup iPhoto, Mail and specific directories with the Finder.

I dont have a .mac account as I've got my own webspace so as far as I can see Apple dont supply any backup software within OS X. I'm not so interested in Automatic Backups, just looking for a program that will let me select the programs I want to backup and copy all the relevant files over to a specified destination (which would be an external usb hard drive), then allow me to use the backup program to restore from the last backup made.

Thanks for any help given,

Steven

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Apple's Backup program is part of .Mac and can archive files to your iDisk, CD/DVD, or HD. It can be scheduled to run nightly and can make incremental backups, permitting historical access to older versions of files.

I also use SuperDuper! to clone my startup disk so I always have a hot spare in case of problems. I use Backup to maintain historical backups of critical files.

I started this thread to discuss this, but nobody seemed to care.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Welcome to the Mac.

Please do a quick search on these forums and you will find multiple discussions on this very thing.

Given that, look at SuperDuper. Best in my book.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Please do a quick search on these forums and you will find multiple discussions on this very thing.

I did search, there was one topic, but it didnt answer my query.

I'll check out SuperDuper! though.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you're trying to selectively backup documents SuperDuper! is not the app for you. I bet there are others out there including Retrospect which has been around for ages.

I misread your first post and thought you had .Mac which is why I went on about Backup. Whoops!

SuperDuper! has many features but it is primarily for backing up/cloning your entire system. However, if this is what you want, its a great program.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

Hey

I'm a recent switcher and now that all my important documents, photos and files are stored on my newly puchased iBook, i'd like to know if theres a program out there that will let me backup iPhoto, Mail and specific directories with the Finder.

Thanks for any help given,

Steven

I too am a recent 'switcher,' just 6 months actually . I also decided 'not' to go with the .mac account at this time. So, I use SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner. I've been happy with both so far. Here are the links:

Carbon Copy Cloner

SuperDuper!

I back up to an external Firewire disk drive - Maxtor 300GB One Touch II, so if something should happen to my iBook internal disk, I can 'boot' from the external disk. OS X will not boot from an external USB disk drive, but you probably already know this ?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i use super duper with an iomega 250gb hd and was simple

now how do i use backup (i have .mac) to do the rest and incremental backups? or should i just continue with super duper? what if my mac goes to sleep? does the backup stop, or can i schedule for my mac to wake up and backup then sleep
  • Reply 7 of 8
    4vector4vector Posts: 14member
    I too use CCC and find it works great and it is also free.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks for the replies

I only got my iBook last week ... so still getting to grips with OS X but most of it is really simple to learn anyway.

I've looked at both SuperDuper! and CCC, SuperDuper! seems to be the better of the two in my opinon so I think I'll be buying a licence for it sometime soon hopefully

Oh, and for anyone reading this that is thinking of switching ... do it! You won't regret it

Thanks again,

Steven.