PowerBook G4 making horrible noise, won't start. HELP!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I have a Powerbook G4 that I bought a few months ago. This evening I tried to turn it on, and it started to make a rattling noise and would not start up. Ultimately an icon popped up on the screen that looked like a folder with the "Finder" logo in the middle alternating with a question mark in the middle of this folder. And then after some more rattling it ultimately shuts off.

What the heck's the problem? The thing is still covered under warranty, so I'll probably take it in to an Apple store for help.

But any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zabadu

Hi,

I have a Powerbook G4 that I bought a few months ago. This evening I tried to turn it on, and it started to make a rattling noise and would not start up. Ultimately an icon popped up on the screen that looked like a folder with the "Finder" logo in the middle alternating with a question mark in the middle of this folder. And then after some more rattling it ultimately shuts off.

What the heck's the problem? The thing is still covered under warranty, so I'll probably take it in to an Apple store for help.

But any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

I suspect that your hard drive is dead.

Try inserting your system disk and restarting while holding down the 'c' key. You will be able to run disk utilities from the cd and determine if the drive is pooched.

The machine is definitely under warranty still and if the HD is dead it will be replaced. I hope you have a backup of your important data if that's the case.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    zabaduzabadu Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I suspect that your hard drive is dead.

Try inserting your system disk and restarting while holding down the 'c' key. You will be able to run disk utilities from the cd and determine if the drive is pooched.

The machine is definitely under warranty still and if the HD is dead it will be replaced. I hope you have a backup of your important data if that's the case.

SON OF A @*&;%$!!

I thought this kind of stuff "is only supposed to happen to Windows machines". This totally sucks.

Thanks for your input
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zabadu

SON OF A @*&;%$!!

I thought this kind of stuff "is only supposed to happen to Windows machines". This totally sucks.

Thanks for your input

Apple don't have a secret supply of drives that never fail. They get them from the same places as Dell.