parental controls help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
i just set up a new managed account on my mac for my mom. im sick of her messing up safari and just ruining everything under my name. ok so i set her up with parental controls. is there a way i can add specific folders (folders NOT files) to things she can access under my name? she really wants to use my music. do i have to relocate my whole itunes library to be set as shared or is there another way? thanks in advanced

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    The only way I know of is to set your music library to be readable by everyone in the user group of the computer, and then create an alias to the music directory in her account. But she'll have to reload the whole music library every time you've added new songs. There might be a way to solve this automagically using applescript, but I'm unaware of it. I've done similar things on myh computer with my girlfriend, and I've yet to find an easier solution.

Maybe someone else has any real tips for you, sorry...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    To share the iTunes library open iTunes and find the iTunes preferences in the iTunes(Application) menu. Select the sharing tab and from here you can share your iTunes library or even select certain playlists to exclusively share. Then, assuming you have fast-user-switching enabled, as long as you keep both users logged in you will have access to the shared libraries.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jettingjetting Posts: 31member
    yeah i figured that out in itunes but the problem is if my comps turned off and my mom logs in then it wont work. idk i really gotta find a permanant solution
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Couldn't you just move your iTunes library to a location thats accessible to all users, such as another hard drive or the Shared Documents folder (hard drive/users/shared) and then under each users' account, just tell iTunes that's where the music is stored?

Mind you, that would mean EVERYONE can add/change/delete things in the music library.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jetting

yeah i figured that out in itunes but the problem is if my comps turned off and my mom logs in then it wont work. idk i really gotta find a permanant solution

Why are you turning you computer off? Do you need to move it around or something?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Just chmod 644 all the music files (755 for folders) in the music library, and make sure you're the only owner of the music files, then it's readable to everyone and only writable to you. Also disable itunes' auto-organizing of the library on the other accounts.

The quick and dirty way in terminal: chmod -R 755 /Users/YOU/Music/

Probably also want to make sure that the user:group setting is correct by using chown (quick and dirty: chown -R YOU:YOU /Users/YOU/Music/ where YOU is your userid). If you're permissions are messed up in your Music folder, you may need to use sudo.

You may be able to symlink the itunes library database to the other accounts, though I've never tried this.