Charging iPod via Airport Express

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi all

Found out yesterday I could charge my iPod via the express usb port

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    When i do it, it doesn't act like a normal charger would when you plug it in. On my Airport Express, it says it si synching with something but it isn't and the only way to disconnect it is to unplug it even when it says "Do Not Disconnect"
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    It says don't disconnect with me as well but it does charge the iPod. By the way I have a 5G iPod
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Yeah, I knew about this one but it isn't a good thing. Read on.

I knew I could charge using the AE. I tried plugging in my iPod Video into the TV and plugging the dock into the airport express to keep the battery charging while playing videos on the TV.

Apple was smart though, they don't allow this, your iPod is disabled (do not disconnect). Instead they want you to buy the outlet plug and make some more money if you want to keep your device charging while in use. (sarcasm)

Good design from Apple's perspective = they make more money. Piss poor for consumers since they can't multitask their items.

I mean c'mon, if it can't sync with your computer don't make it try sync and disable the device!!! Dumb design from Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Makes me think that iPod sync via AirPort could be coming...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Makes me think that iPod sync via AirPort could be coming...

Possible, but likely? I doubt it because of the streaming capabilities in Front Row. You won't need your iPod in the living room.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Couldn't this be caused simply by the Airport trying to communicate with the iPod and sending it into Disk mode? All you would have to do is cut the 2 data wires and keep the power ones in the USB cable. That would charge the iPod but not try to mount it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jwink3101jwink3101 Posts: 739member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Couldn't this be caused simply by the Airport trying to communicate with the iPod and sending it into Disk mode? All you would have to do is cut the 2 data wires and keep the power ones in the USB cable. That would charge the iPod but not try to mount it.

I do not want to risk messing up and causing a short. Plus, this would ruin my cable for synhing. The price of a new cable is too high to this
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh, no. Please don't cut up your iPod cable! Those things are expensive!

But you can go down to a electronics store and buy a 5 1/2" USB extension. I have a clear one with -get this- easy access to unshielded wires. Anyways, a single well-placed drill hole renders this a perfect iPod/Airport accessory.

Image 1

Image 2