Remote Desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From reading an article at Apple Support, reading some threads at Apple Forums, and from having it happen to me, I know the Remote Desktop will not work on Intel Based Mac's.

What the fuck is wrong with them?? I have a brand new MacBook yet I am having to bring my old laptop on trips because I NEED remote desktop.

It doesn't even work with Rosetta, it just says update your software, but no updates are available.

This sucks ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    There might be lots of VNC servers for BSD, in x86 format. See what VersionTracker has.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    There are other options, yes, but ARD is a perfect all in one program. In the event of an emergency I can log in with VNC, but ARD is perfect for what I do.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Yeah, its kind of sad, Apple has had PLENTY of time to get the ARD as a universal binary. Heck, the ARD client is a integral part of OS X for intel.

Worse yet, Apple hasn't even mentioned a planned ship date of a revised version of Remote Desktop -- go figure
  • Reply 4 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    ARD needs a complete overhaul anyway IMO. It's very crashy and I can rarely do file copies to more than a half dozen people before it chokes. One way around it is to put the files i want to copy over on a server and send a "cp source dest" command to all the computers.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    One other work-around that works for me is that I've set my desktop G4 using OSXVNC to allow local logins only. I then activated Remote Login and SSH tunnel to my desktop G4, logging in vai Chicken of the VNC. Once on my local Desktop, I bring up Remote Desktop and can access any of the other machines on my network remotely from my MacBook Pro. Not elegant, but it certainly solved a problem I had -- didn't want to take the old TiBook with me any more since I now have the MacBook Pro. YMMV