iApps should go open source

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi everybody,

I think that opening up the iApps could be the best move for Apple since the original iMac. It would appease some of the bad <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000795"; target="_blank">press</a> that Apple has been getting by forcing its way into new markets by bundling apps in with new Macs. It would attract lots of new developers which sure couldn't hurt. And most IMPORTANTLY, the loyal Mac community could help in directing the development of the software they use everyday.

Imagine a world where you could post a gripe or a limitation of your favorite iApp, and actually have someone respond with a patch adding any number of features!

I am convinced that with enough creative development, software companies could produce successful releases in parallel with Apple releases.

True we may see some shitty ports to x86, but it will just serve to illustrate what an easy platform the Mac is to use and how powerful the Mac can be with media.

Oh and BTW, keep X closed tight.... that could be deadly on the x86.

Pres

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    [quote]Originally posted by preston:

<strong>Hi everybody,

I think that opening up the iApps could be the best move for Apple since the original iMac. It would appease some of the bad <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000795"; target="_blank">press</a> that Apple has been getting by forcing its way into new markets by bundling apps in with new Macs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seems that Apple wants to quickly add killer-app functionality to OS X to enhance it's marketing position. Apple is addressing some core functionality (e.g., music browsing, image management, chat, and hopefully video conferencing) by producing iApps tightly integrated with the OS. Who could do that better than Apple? Waiting for other developers to effectively address these functions would be harmful to rapid OS X adoption.

I hope Apple opens up iApps to some extent -- maybe not open-source but open and well documented APIs. This would allow developers to create plugin and enhancements, but remain within the framework of a tightly intergrated application. It could be possible to infinitely increase the functionality of iPhoto through plug-ins. Or, other chat services could be added to iChat as modules.

From a developer's perspective, Apple is doing a good thing by raising the baseline configuration of ALL Macs. Everyone has iTunes. A newly developed iTune plug-in would probably sell more units than an alternative music player.

iChat could appear with video conferencing and later Microsoft could sell a NetMeeting compatabity plug-in.

Basically, I agree with you. Apple should address these killer applications NOW and open the iApps to future commercial development.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    prestonpreston Posts: 219member
    Target,

Good suggestion! Opening the software, even a little would be great. I also agree with you in that Apple should have the last word on how these products develop.

However, Only allowing a limited degree of openness to the software would still allow Apple to gobble up features that are being developed as plugins. I really love open source as an ideology, and i think that Apple's ease-of-use could really benefit from the sheer power and flexability that open source developers could bring to the platform's most important applications. Just look at the organic development of Linux, its a great thing

Pres