Problems burning legal music from playlist. Feel like N00B. Help, pls.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a playlist of 107 songs, half of which are illegal downloads and half of which are from my personal CD collection which I have ripped using iTunes to my HD. Total size 412 MB.

When I try to burn the playlist to an MP3 CD, it automatically selects my 48 ILLEGAL TRACKS, and won't let me burn my legal ones.

I have tried burning with Toast, but Toast 6 Titanium for some reason won't let me order the MP3s according to anything but rigorous alphabetical order, while I would like to conserve the playlist order.

My ripped songs are AAC 128, not mp3. Do I have to manually convert them all?

Please Help.

10.3.9 iTunes 4.9

Thanks.

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Knowing what version of iTunes you're on and knowing you have mixed-format files, it sounds like iTunes is unwilling to convert the files to mp3 on the fly OR burn mixed-format files to a disk. You have a few options:

1) Repair permissions in Disk Utility and see if that helps.

2) Manually convert the AACs to mp3 (using "Convert selection to..." with mp3 importing selected in Preferences).

3) Update your version of iTunes and see if it will do all the work for you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

I have a playlist of 107 songs, half of which are illegal downloads and half of which are from my personal CD collection which I have ripped using iTunes to my HD. Total size 412 MB.

When I try to burn the playlist to an MP3 CD, it automatically selects my 48 ILLEGAL TRACKS, and won't let me burn my legal ones.

I have tried burning with Toast, but Toast 6 Titanium for some reason won't let me order the MP3s according to anything but rigorous alphabetical order, while I would like to conserve the playlist order.

My ripped songs are AAC 128, not mp3. Do I have to manually convert them all?

Please Help.

10.3.9 iTunes 4.9

Thanks.

--B

make a "data cd" instead of an "mp3 cd"

an mp3 cd is just that, and nothing more.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Knowing what version of iTunes you're on and knowing you have mixed-format files, it sounds like iTunes is unwilling to convert the files to mp3 on the fly OR burn mixed-format files to a disk. You have a few options:

1) Repair permissions in Disk Utility and see if that helps.

2) Manually convert the AACs to mp3 (using "Convert selection to..." with mp3 importing selected in Preferences).

3) Update your version of iTunes and see if it will do all the work for you.

Thanks to both of you. I tried repairing permissions and it didn't work.

I updated itunes and that only gave me a real error message telling me that iTunes can't burn AACs.

I also tried burning a data cd with toast, but it ordered my files just the same, in alphabetical order.

So I ended up converting all the files to mp3 and burning as God wishes us to. I'm wondering if this is one of the concessions Steve made to the music company lawyers.

Thx again!

--B
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    For future reference: lossy format (AAC) --> lossy format (MP3) isn't a great idea quality-wise. You should have re-ripped your tracks from CD to mp3.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

For future reference: lossy format (AAC) --> lossy format (MP3) isn't a great idea quality-wise. You should have re-ripped your tracks from CD to mp3.

Of course, and thanks. The thing is it was just for a friend who listens to bad music on a bad stereo. Just a quick dose of real music, nothing audiophilic.

Thanks.

--B