Front Row (Mini) vs. iPod Video & TV

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Having had a G4 Mini previously, I love the form factor and quietness. I bought an iMac (intel) and got rid of the Mini. I've also used my iPod to watch 2 seasons of Battlestar Galactica and my Fiancee watched a bunch of the last episodes the Runway show along with a lot of content from torrents and lots of video podcasts.

The output from the iPod is pretty nice to a standard TV. The big drawback (intentional from Apple, I'm sure) is that the menu button on the remote doesn't work so you have to manually change selections. There are other issues such as Podcasts (video) will not play out to the TV unless you select them from the Video menu. Little things...

I'm almost tempted to get another Mini and quit using the iPod on the dock with remote since the Front Row interface is so nice...but almost not quite...I think the iPod video for viewing videos is much nicer ONLY because there isn't any higher def content available through the store.

I think the Mini is 'poised' to become the interface to the store but with so little content its useless...

This is why I think the iPod Video kicks the Mini all over the front room...the content hasn't caught up and what is available is definitely good enough out to a standard TV through an iPod video.

So for $299 (+ remote and dock) you get a pretty nice living room experience...just have to load it from your main computer and fumble with the crappy Apple remote that mostly works.

Anyway, kind of rambling but would like your thoughts...do you agree that until content (to purchase) catches up with the hardware buying a Mini for the TV is foolish or worthwhile? My iPod video is great for watching shows on the TV and listening to podcasts in the car...seems like a more useful device than a $899 duo on the TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

... There are other issues such as Podcasts (video) will not play out to the TV unless you select them from the Video menu. Little things...

Unless I misunderstand your problem, you can use Playlists to play multiple Video Podcasts at one time. I use a Smart Playlist to group Play Count 0, MPEG-4 type Podcasts for playback on my TV.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aresee

Unless I misunderstand your problem, you can use Playlists to play multiple Video Podcasts at one time. I use a Smart Playlist to group Play Count 0, MPEG-4 type Podcasts for playback on my TV.

That works but the whole navigation thing is broken on the remote for the iPod. It'd be nice to be able to move around with the remote rather than just pause, play, ff, rv, and volume. Its a manual selection to get to what you need which is unfortunate.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Get this instead of the Apple Dock and Remote. It is more expensive but does much more. They do have a $100 version that does not show you on-screen menus and such if that is all you need.

http://www.dlo.com/products/homedoc_...25443923001827

Hope this helps.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

Get this instead of the Apple Dock and Remote. It is more expensive but does much more. They do have a $100 version that does not show you on-screen menus and such if that is all you need.

http://www.dlo.com/products/homedoc_...25443923001827

Hope this helps.

Macaddict16

looks pretty nice even for the price but its not shipping yet! soon. I might consider one to tide me over until content and hardware catch up. thanks.