new iChat icons = another Apple UI design???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014




as a .mac member, you have access to some new iChat icons... I personally don't like them, ok, that is a matter of taste, but... they look so terrible colorful!



we have Aqua, brushed metal, wood, grey... here comes technicolor??



where's Jonathan Yves, when you need him most...???

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    icibaquicibaqu Posts: 278member
    i don't mena to sound like a jerk, but dude-- they're iChat icons.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icibaqu

    i don't mena to sound like a jerk, but dude-- they're iChat icons.



    having a different opinion is never jerky... have a look here:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/overview/



    .. list on the right side.... THESE are icons... not that manga-bubbley-yada-yada....



    y'know what I mean?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by icibaqu

    i don't mena to sound like a jerk, but dude-- they're iChat icons.



    You sound an awful lot like a Microsoft Windows designer...



    Dave
  • Reply 4 of 10
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DaveGee

    You sound an awful lot like a Microsoft Windows designer...



    Dave




    ... you know, how Microsoft Designers have to work..?

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72690011721857



    and, the REALLY funny part of this video:

    it was done by Microsoft!! ... for some internal affairs....
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by k_munic





    as a .mac member, you have access to some new iChat icons... I personally don't like them, ok, that is a matter of taste, but... they look so terrible colorful!



    we have Aqua, brushed metal, wood, grey... here comes technicolor??



    where's Jonathan Yves, when you need him most...???




    I don't think you can call those icons. AFAIK they aren't used to launch a program. Or maybe I am misunderstanding their purpose. I think they are more like visual emoticons. I think they look fine for that purpose.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    An "icon" can be more than a visual representation of a file, app, etc. In this case, they are "buddy icons," meant to be used as a visual representation of you when chatting.



    Honestly, I've always been a fan of having my friends' actual pictures as their iChat icons. Then it looks like our faces are actually saying the little word bubbles.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, those aren't for representing any item on the computer... those are the pics for the user to represent *themselves*. For that, the field is, and should be wide open. Apple's just throwing out some gimme icons for people to use quickly and easily.



    I don't really care for them, but I'm there are folks out there who think they're adorable. (Although I do kind of think the Yada Yada one is cute...)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CosmoNut

    An "icon" can be more than a visual representation of a file, app, etc. In this case, they are "buddy icons," meant to be used as a visual representation of you when chatting.



    Honestly, I've always been a fan of having my friends' actual pictures as their iChat icons. Then it looks like our faces are actually saying the little word bubbles.




    Are you sure they are "buddy icons"? They don't seem to fit well with that use. I've never used iChat btw.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    12 year old girls. "Fiendish" doesn't begin to describe their devotion to IM. What we have here are 12 year old girl icons. Makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

    Originally posted by addabox

    12 year old girls. "Fiendish" doesn't begin to describe their devotion to IM. What we have here are 12 year old girl icons. Makes perfect sense.



    Yeah, I guess you are right on the money.
Sign In or Register to comment.