Video is tilted 90 degrees

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi

A friend sent me a couple of home movies of her family. For some reason only she knows, she held the damned camera tilted 90 degrees and filmed the movies!!!!!!!! Now every time I want to watch the movies I have to tilt my head sideways like a dog that's trying to determine whether I am crazy or not!

Is there any way I can rotate the movies so that I can save trips to the chiropractor?

I use a first generation Mac Mini with Panther 10.3.9.

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    If you have Final Cut or After Effects installed, you can rotate the movie there.

I'm not running the latest version of iMovie, I suppose it's possible that a rotate effect has been added to that.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    If you have QuickTime Pro, just select the video track and rotate it.

I assume you're on QuickTime 7 (despite using Panther), so that's:

Window -> Show Movie Properties

Select the video track

Visual Settings -> Transformation
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Thanks addabox. No, I do not have Final Cut or After Effects and I do not plan to buy them either since I do not do any multimedia work at all. I shall try iMovie and see if that can help, but I hope you are talking about iMovie for Panther and not Tiger

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I assume you're on QuickTime 7 (despite using Panther), so that's:

Window -> Show Movie Properties

Select the video track

Visual Settings -> Transformation

Which brings us to the perennial cry of "Why in the name of all that's holy did Apple take all that QT goodness and make it a paid "Pro" key download? I mean, thirty bucks a pop can't be that much of a revenue stream for Cupertino, especially since the people most likely to use the functionality are getting it as a part of the pro video apps.

So they get a few paid users, but loose the massive "cool" factor of what a Mac could do right out of the box. Save to desktop as QT movie, I'm looking at you.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Thanks Chucker. I do not have QT-Pro, only the free version of QT 7. Would I be able to do the same thing with VLC maybe?

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Which brings us to the perennial cry of "Why in the name of all that's holy did Apple take all that QT goodness and make it a paid "Pro" key download?

Absolutely. Huge mistake.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Just saw this today. Supposedly a freeware app that does exactly what you want.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...Container_link
  • Reply 8 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I just saw that too. #1 on the list just for you.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Thanks Wyatt and Ebby! I downloaded it, installed it (or though I did). I cannot find it in my Applications folder, nor is there an icon on the desktop or anything, so I now have to try and find out how to run the application *grin*

Cheers
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, I don't know why, but check your user folder for a "obleo" user. It created and installed its self there on my computer.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yeah Ebby! There it was, under the user folder for 'obleo'. I wonder why it created a new user! Thanks! How ever did you find that out?

Now, if this thing can create new users on my Mac, do I have to worry?

And, creating a new user folder instead of putting it under 'Applications", is it a case of bad software design or is it a bug or is it something sinsiter?

Thanks again Ebby, and cheers