Creating nice mathematical graphs and geometric shapes?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Latex appears to be the ultimate math expression typesetting program, and while many college-level math textbooks appear to be written in Latex, high school-level textbooks are all beautifully illustrated with excellent graphs, diagrams, geometric shapes, etc and it appears that Latex cannot do that.

So...how is it done?

Why? Because I'm a high school math teacher, and at the moment I write up test answers the old fashioned way: I write them by hand, drawing by hand any necessary functions or diagrams, and then Xerox it. But I wouldn't mind having the ability to create nicely laid out answer sheets or notes using the computer.

Thanks guys!

Philip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Try Grapher that's in the Mac OS X Tiger Applications folder (or maybe it's in utilities) by default. It's incredible; 3D and 2D graphs that have options for transparency, texture, color and a whole bunch of other things.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You might also want to try gplot.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rara Posts: 623member
    I've been using R for school, and it's great at making high quality pdfs.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Try Grapher that's in the Mac OS X Tiger Applications folder (or maybe it's in utilities) by default. It's incredible; 3D and 2D graphs that have options for transparency, texture, color and a whole bunch of other things.

Dammit, yet again Mac OS X surprises me. I simply cannot believe how much useful software Apple includes with their computers, and I never realize it!