Off-topic

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Quote:

Originally posted by ctachme

Woah... you seem to be muxing up your notation. I have no problem with people doing mm/dd or dd/mm, but both in the same message

Almost all of the various date ordering are annoying. I would like to see yyyy/mm/dd because that follows the ordering of the decimal system, most significant digit first. If one is going to note the 28th of March as 28/3, might as well note it as 82/3 to get the order in an increasing significance sequence.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

Date ordering is pretty annoying. I would like to see yyyy/mm/dd because that follows the ordering of the decimal system, most significant bit first. If one is going to note the 28th of March as 28/3, might as well note it as 82/3 to get the order in an increasing significance sequence.

huh? what are you talking about?

dd/mm/yyyy actually makes more sense than mm/dd/yyy because its in order of size. days in a month, months in a year.

but no one says, the 16th of march. So that's how I think think that mm/dd/yyyy came around, since people say March 16th.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

huh? what are you talking about?

dd/mm/yyyy actually makes more sense than mm/dd/yyy because its in order of size. days in a month, months in a year.

I'm saying both of your examples are nonsense, even if make more sense than the other.

I am saying both make less sense than yyyy/mm/dd, because with standard decimal system, the number to the left is greater than the number to the right. Just as ones are less significant than tens and go to the right of tens, days are less significant than months and also should go to the right of months. Months are less significant than years, so months should go to the right of years.

If we throw that out, then today's date may as well be 91/03/6002 or resort to the VAX numbering system.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I'm saying both of your examples are nonsense, even if make more sense than the other.

I am saying both make less sense than yyyy/mm/dd, because with standard decimal system, the number to the left is greater than the number to the right. Just as ones are less significant than tens and go to the right of tens, days are less significant than months and also should go to the right of months. Months are less significant than years, so months should go to the right of years.

If we throw that out, then today's date may as well be 91/03/6002 or resort to the VAX numbering system.

you're still confusing me. dd, mm, and yyyy are GROUPS. You're ungrouping them and making the whole thing from least significant to most significant which is totally unreadable.

What is the point you're making? If you ruled the world, how would dates be formatted?