What comes after the "five R's?"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My 3rd generation 15 GB iPod is dead. I see a folder icon with an exclamation mark at startup. I have tried restoring. My computer doesn't recognize the iPod being connected.

Repairs would cost $350 (Canadian). I'd be better off buying a new iPod.

But is there anything I can try now? I'm willing to try anything by this point. Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think you'd be happier with the click wheel, color screen, and added features of the newer iPods. I'd say retire your ol' friend and buy a new one.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    No I tried that.

I don't really want to buy a new iPod but I guess I have to.

Any suggestions of what to do with my broken one? I'll try any thing to repair it. Magnets, dropping from a distance, submerging in water, anything... Ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You could try replacing the hard drive. Not for the faint hearted, but doable. No time to dig up links right now, but Google "replacing iPod hard drive", or possibly "upgrading Ipod etc.".
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Here you go
  • Reply 6 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    No time to dig up the link, but two minutes later he was done. Hmm, what was addabox up to?....

• Reply 7 of 12
    Thanks for the help.

I would definitely try replacing my hard drive, but I can't find a compatibility guide. What hard drive do I need to buy?

It's a 3rd Gen 15GB iPod.
  • Reply 8 of 12
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

No time to dig up the link, but two minutes later he was done. Hmm, what was addabox up to?....

I just looked around and thought, wait, work? Must get my priorities straight!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Danosaur

Thanks for the help.

I would definitely try replacing my hard drive, but I can't find a compatibility guide. What hard drive do I need to buy?

It's a 3rd Gen 15GB iPod.

It's a 1.8" ATA drive, I believe Toshiba was the original supplier.

Came across an interesting suggestion for the "sixth R": rattle.

Apparently an iPod that acts like it has a bad drive can something just have a dodgy drive connector. Giving the little guy a good hard smack can sometimes get things set to right.

Failing that, you could practice for an HD replacement by opening it up, identifying the HD and connector, and while you're in there firmly reseat same. If that works, you're all set, if not you're part way to replacement anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Good idea, i'll try that now. Should be fun.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    No luck.

I did find a replacement hard drive on ebay, though. Not too much either, only $50 Canadian, plus shipping. Definitely better than buying a new iPod.

Thanks for your help.