Retentives!! What SW do you use to organize your DVDs / Books?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Any good alternatives to Delicious?

Delicious and Del.icio.us faithful, please chime in as well, as it might loosen someone's purse strings.

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 923member
    I use the pedias - as in Bookpedia, CDpedia and DVDpedia.

Bruji.com is where you can look at it.

While I looked at DL, I had been using Bookpedia for a while and preferred the simplicity of the format. All 3 are about the same price as DL, or youi can buy the modules individually. Definitely worth a look at the app and the message board for user inputs.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have a rather large collection of DVD's, CD's, records and books. I got the IntelliScanner and Collector software . It was very good getting all the data on items less than 10 years old. Many early 80's and before CD's and books did not have bar codes so I had to manually enter them. Good software and easiest way inputing what you have.

reg
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Thanks for the replies. The price of the intelliscanner is a bit high for me, but the pedias look like a very interesting alternative to Delicious. This weekend I will compare the features of each.

Needless to say, much better than the spreadsheet I have going.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My collection is so extensive I have to use a hardware solution I call a bookshelf.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't catalog my suff, but if I did I'd probably use Delicious Library.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I also use Intelliscanner, primarirly because it was the only thing out there when I started scanning. It is helpful as I have three offices and loads of books. I also use the barcodes you can buy from them to file practically everything. It is a bit expensive, though, if you can't get it through your company...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The pedias and DL both have barcode scanning via iSight. Might be helpful when entering the initial library, but after than entering the ISBN is probably just as fast.

One thing I'm starting to do is using a new "library" for the books that I'm not interesting in keeping. I'll wait until there is a box full and take them and a print out of the library (with retail prices included) to the local library. The sign off on it and I've got a tax deduction - and the library has more books. Win-win for everyone and pays for the app.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    That's a very interesting idea. Much easier than sending them off one by one through half.com

Another question:

Delicious's site mentions "iSight or any other firewire camera."

So would a USB Logitech 4000 Pro not work?

--B
  • Reply 9 of 11
    There's a three page thread on the AVS Forum on this topic. Most of the suggestions deal with Windows software, but there are some mention of Mac programs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=484682
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

There's a three page thread on the AVS Forum on this topic. Most of the suggestions deal with Windows software, but there are some mention of Mac programs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=484682

Thanks for the link, Codger. I hadn't thought of an on-line listing as an option.

I love how PC SW threads always have some sort of apprehensive Virus / AdWare digression.

--B
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Any good alternatives to Delicious?

Delicious and Del.icio.us faithful, please chime in as well, as it might loosen someone's purse strings.

--B

I'm using DVDpedia by Bruji.com. So far I'm liking the program very much - bar code entry is making the initial setup a breeze . The borrowed feature is extra nice, now the program can remember who I loaned what to? I also thought $18 was quite reasonable for all it does 8)?!