collectible?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I wonder if the last generation powerpc...especially those like the 17 powerbook with the hi res screen will be something people will want...they could'nt have made many of these since it's end of life already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I doubt they will be any more collectible than the last macs able to boot OS 9. They aren't particularly revolutionary in themselves, and are mostly just ailing hardware that needs replacement. Besides, they don't offer much lost functionality other than classic, which other ppc machines have.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I agree... don't hold your breath. Even Newtons/eMates and original Bondi iMacs are debatably collectible, but maybe one day.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's too bad the Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs never had many fans. I thought they were great. Really.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mercury7mercury7 Posts: 203member
    thanks...I am still glad I got it though...for me it is nice to watch the intel transition without participating, I think my powerbook will serve me well for a few years and then upgrade to a 4th or 5th generation macbook pro, it should be interesting to see which generation they are on 3 years from today.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I?m sure one day the Powerbook 17 will become a collectable. In fact I?m looking for a Powerbook 2400c; I had one in college and could shoot myself for ever having sold it. Now I can?t find one anywhere, and would gladly pay handsomely for one in good condition.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    I sold my toilet-seat iBook and mum actually threw out our Apple lle.. Man I can't believe she did that!!

Anyway, sure it was cool to look at while we had it, (and believe it or not, the lle actually worked when I tested it back in 98.. I played Monkey Business on it.. Sure shows the longevity of these machines if you take care of them.).

Anyway, I regret selling the iBook now, I miss it's hum and it's weight. Strange eh? Now that was a collectable..

Jimzip
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The Cube and the G4 iMac are interesting novelties which I wouldn't mind owning. The 20th Anniversary Mac was kind of nifty looking, though I've never seen one personally. None of these really increase in value, but the 20th doesn't seem to have completely tanked in value despite its age.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I still think the G4 iMac was the best all-around design that Apple's come up with. It's incredibly attractive yet incredibly functional. My parents have one and I just love looking at it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    I'd love to see one too. G4 iMacs were so cute... it's a girl thing...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's too bad the Flower Power and Blue Dalmation iMacs never had many fans. I thought they were great. Really.

I was working at the UC Berkeley computer store when these machines were released and I don't think they sold too well. Most people would be like "wow" and then settle for the standard Indigo, Graphite, or Snow models.

Personally, I kinda liked the Blue Dalmation iMacs. Flower Power was neat but a little over the top.

Those were the days. But then again Apple is in even better shape now.