Help..Office X vs. Office 2004

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As most of you have read, I will soon be getting my Imac. I put my pc on Ebay the night I got back from the Apple store.

I don't use word a lot, but my girlfriend uses it a lot at her house and mine, she wants to use Office on my Mac, she won't use any other program (already gave her the other options).

I was going to plop down the 150.00 for the student edition of office 2004 but after getting my mac I would like to just save some money. I noticed tonight on my school's website that I can get Office X and I doubt it will be over 20 bucks.

I searched the web and couldn't find much info on Office X.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by turbo

As most of you have read, I will soon be getting my Imac. I put my pc on Ebay the night I got back from the Apple store.

I don't use word a lot, but my girlfriend uses it a lot at her house and mine, she wants to use Office on my Mac, she won't use any other program (already gave her the other options).

I was going to plop down the 150.00 for the student edition of office 2004 but after getting my mac I would like to just save some money. I noticed tonight on my school's website that I can get Office X and I doubt it will be over 20 bucks.

I searched the web and couldn't find much info on Office X.

Office v.X is the older version of Microsoft Office for Mac OS X. I've used them both and if you want brutal honesty, there really isn't too much of a difference. It comes with the same programs with the same functionality ... if you can get v.X cheaper, then I'd skip out on 2004 for right now ... pick up the next version whenever it comes out.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    I would have to put in my vote for 2004. I don't know what other people's experiences are, but I found v.X to be a flaming piece of unstable crap. This was especially troublesome when I was working on a long paper/project as it would crash every half hour or so... but that may just be me?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

I would have to put in my vote for 2004. I don't know what other people's experiences are, but I found v.X to be a flaming piece of unstable crap. This was especially troublesome when I was working on a long paper/project as it would crash every half hour or so... but that may just be me?

It may just be ... I never experienced stability problems with v.X. I kept it updated and everything worked perfectly fine.

To the OP, check eBay or Half.com for copies of Office 2004 for Mac to see if you can do better than the retail price.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The Mac Office GUI is, I think much better. However if your a heavy Visual Basic user I'd think twice about parting with your PC because you'll end up returning back in the long run.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    One advantage of 2004 over X is that Entourage works properly with Spotlight (with the recent update at least).

I would say that 2004 is a bit nicer, but probably not worth the 100 dollar difference for you unless there's a particular new feature that you need.

--> Stephen
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    If you have an account on Microsoft Exchange, Entourage 2004 can access it via Exchange settings. Entourage v.X can access Exchange only via IMAP.