FCP3 and DVD's

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Perhaps someone with some experience may be able to help with something that I thought might be fun...(but isn't).

Please does anyone know how to turn the files on a DVD into editable footage?

I've done some desktop video (very simple stuff) on Edit DV and iMovie and enjoyed it. So I treated myself to FCP3 thinking id like to go a little deeper. It occurred to me once I had it ,that with wading through the manuals (all 5!) and the numerous multi optioned tabbed pallets, I'd have no time to shoot any video to work with. (Job/ wife/ kids so unreasonable with their demands on my time). I needed some source material to play with. Something interesting so that I persevere when the learning curve is too steep.

I thought I had it...rip a DVD to my Mac and use that. (Something that could use a bit of work perhaps ) So my project was to do a chronological Pulp Fiction. Many hours later I am starting to think it would have been easier to read the manuals cover to cover in one session and beg Quentin to do a directors cut himself.

(The forums tI've seen that seem most appropriate to ask for help about this seem populated by people obsessed with creating VCD' out of perfectly good DVD's and they get moody when people stray off topic)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Look for a program that take Raw MPEG2 video and converts it to DV or another editable format.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Here is a link that has OS 9/OS X apps that you're looking for. There's an extractor for both OS 9 and OS X. There is also a MPEG-2 to Quicktime converters for both OS9 and OS X. Now, don't be a bad boy and copy DVDs that aren't your's.

<a href="http://www.opuscc.com/download/"; target="_blank">http://www.opuscc.com/download/</a>;

[ 05-25-2002: Message edited by: Unfiltered ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks for the link. I think I've got it now.

It seems a bit 'clunky' ripping to M2V files, converting to MPeg or DV files (Huge or what!) then rendering in FCP. On top of which the audio files need converting from AC3 to Aiff files and somehow synch'ing with the images. Are there any software solutions to reduce the number of processes? Just converting the video to DV Ntsc took about 13 hours....

(I bet PC owners don't have to put up with this)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by Zarathustra:

<strong>Perhaps someone with some experience may be able to help with something that I thought might be fun...(but isn't).

Please does anyone know how to turn the files on a DVD into editable footage?

I've done some desktop video (very simple stuff) on Edit DV and iMovie and enjoyed it. So I treated myself to FCP3 thinking id like to go a little deeper. It occurred to me once I had it ,that with wading through the manuals (all 5!) and the numerous multi optioned tabbed pallets, I'd have no time to shoot any video to work with. (Job/ wife/ kids so unreasonable with their demands on my time). I needed some source material to play with. Something interesting so that I persevere when the learning curve is too steep.

I thought I had it...rip a DVD to my Mac and use that. (Something that could use a bit of work perhaps ) So my project was to do a chronological Pulp Fiction. Many hours later I am starting to think it would have been easier to read the manuals cover to cover in one session and beg Quentin to do a directors cut himself.

(The forums tI've seen that seem most appropriate to ask for help about this seem populated by people obsessed with creating VCD' out of perfectly good DVD's and they get moody when people stray off topic)</strong><hr></blockquote>

See this for a quick FCP3 Roundup and I also suggest that you get the $79 PowerStart CD to show you the ins and outs of FCP3 editing. I agree, the FCP3 manuals are enormous, offputting and take to long to learn. The only thing I found useful really was the Tutorial but the PowerStart CD is better. See below.

FCP3

<a href="http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/15/index4a.html?tw=multimedia"; target="_blank">http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/02/15/index4a.html?tw=multimedia</a>;