New Intel iMac.. I'm excited and bummed at the same time.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

I check this board out pretty often, but I don't think I've ever posted before. I haven't regularly used a Mac since 2002 (I've been using a Dell which I also like.) I recently got a new Intel iMac, and I really like it. I've never been able to use OS X and have it work well. It runs VERY slowly on my older Powerbook Wallstreet. I'm excited about all of the things I'm going to be able to do with it, but I'm also a little bummed that most of my older software doesn't work anymore. All of my Mac software is from the OS 8 & 9 days. I only found one of my programs that has been updated for OS X (Starcraft.)

I wish that Apple would still offer Classic support... even if it was a standalone product that I had to pay extra for. Microsoft does this for older Dos programs with Virtual PC (and there are a few very easy to use and install programs that can do the same for free.) So far, there aren't any options for Intel Mac users that are easy to install that work. I wonder if Apple has even considered this option?

I suppose I can always use the old Powerbook for older software... but I was hoping the new iMac will take care of all my Mac needs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zachmu02

I only found one of my programs that has been updated for OS X (Starcraft.)

Just curious, what software are you using? It's difficult to believe next to none of the software you use is OSX ready.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think he means that Starcraft was the only one with a free OS X binary.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Hello,

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I think Placebo is right. It is the only game I have that is updated so that it is OS X native. The other programs work in OS X, but they require classic. I hope I'm saying this right.

I'm not worried so much about the older productivity programs I have, WordPerfect or Appleworks, because I have Office XP on my Dell (although I must admit... I used to love WordPerfect.)

The software I'm referring to is mostly games. I have a few made by MacPlay and they don't support them anymore. I also have a bunch of free downloaded games that are shareware, so no one ever went to the trouble of updating them. I suppose they just assumed that people would run them in Classic, so there was no need to truly update them to OS X.

Please don't get me wrong. I am VERY excited about my recent purchase. I just didn't expect that I would still need my old Wallstreet powerbook to use some things. Luckily the Powerbook doesn't take up much space!

Thanks for the replies.