Basic image editing software ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

Is there any commercial, shareware of freeware applications out there that has the following:

- Support for plug-ins (preferably Photoshop plug-ins)

- Unsharp mask

- Levels

- Curves

- Color changes (saturation, lighting, etc)

I have looked at iMaginator, but it is lacking levels and curves, and it is _slow_ on my PB 1.25...

I plan to use it as the "external editor" for iPhoto 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

Hello,

Is there any commercial, shareware of freeware applications out there that has the following:

- Support for plug-ins (preferably Photoshop plug-ins)

- Unsharp mask

- Levels

- Curves

- Color changes (saturation, lighting, etc)

I have looked at iMaginator, but it is lacking levels and curves, and it is _slow_ on my PB 1.25...

I plan to use it as the "external editor" for iPhoto 6.

GraphicConverter has exactly what you are asking for, including support for Photoshop plug-ins. You can use it instead of iPhoto and ImageGrabber if you like. Apple bundles it with many new Macs. If it shipped with your Mac, Apple paid the shareware fee for you. If it did not ship with your Mac, you can download it from the usual Mac shareware sites or directly from Lemkesoft's website. If you choose not to pay the shareware fee, the app is fully functional after a few seconds delay. It should be on every Mac user's must-have list.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    GraphicConverter is a wonder that has puzzled me for a long time.

Why hasn't Quark or someone else snapped up this app and bulk it up into a Photoshop competitor?

It would seem to be a good piece of software, and not too far off the mark from a Pro photo editor if you add layers and give it a good pro-level interface.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

GraphicConverter is a wonder that has puzzled me for a long time.

Why hasn't Quark or someone else snapped up this app and bulk it up into a Photoshop competitor?

It would seem to be a good piece of software, and not too far off the mark from a Pro photo editor if you add layers and give it a good pro-level interface.

Everything doesn't have to be a pro-level application. GraphicConverter's primary function is to convert graphics files from one format to another. The image editing functions are gravy, but they are excellent gravy.

Lemkesoft does a fantastic job maintaining GraphicConverter. In my experience, no commercial developer is as committed to its products. It would be a shame for this application to be goobled-up by one of them.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    GIMPShop. You can't beat free.