Webcam Chat Software for X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have a friend who wanted to chat with me the other night, they have a webcam. They wanted to use Yahoo Messenger cause it has this capability built in. No go. Not built in to the Mac version. So I spent the evening searching for an alternative that runs in OS X where my friend who is on a PC and myself that is on X could chat. I could not find a thing. Anyone out there use something you can reccomend?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    chucksterchuckster Posts: 56member
    We have been trying to set up something like this where I work, and the recommendation I was given is Sorrenson Broadcaster (kind of pricey though and also out of date). According to our video consultant, the people at Sorrenson are working on the "webcam" parts of the upcoming upgrade to Quicktime (6.0?) and so Broadcaster will probably remain out of date. The new Quicktime will offer this built in.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    This has to be the most obvious and useful app yet to be brought to OSX.

Why has Apple neglected to include a webcam/video conferencing suite with X?

Rumor mongers had it that iChat would include this, hope they can rectify this soon!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    So what's happening on the web cam front now?

Is there any software that lets you chat with somebody (Mac-Mac or Mac-PC)? I don't mean generic broadcasting where anyone can watch. I'd prefer to be able to do 1 on 1 chatting with my family and friends.

Zo mentioned <a href="http://webcamnow.com"; target="_blank">webcamnow.com</a> in a different post. I haven't tried it but that seemed more like a generic chat program.

I must say I'm disappointed. My girlfriend was able to show off how WinXP had built in webcam software and how it worked fairly well (plug in camera, install driver, done). On my iBook, I plugged in the camera, then nothing. I would have hoped for built-in support for these sorts of devices.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I must say that the Yahoo Messenger webcam works pretty well.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>I must say that the Yahoo Messenger webcam works pretty well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

On a Wintel PC? Or on a Mac? Whatever happened to CU-SeeMe?

I'm still hoping that Apple will include video-conferencing in a (near) future iteration of iChat. SpyMac says that won't happen. I have no clue.

I've got to dig out my Irez Kritter, now that the IOXperts drivers supposedly support the Kritter USB.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you can get drivers for your webcam mostly from IOExpert.com (works great with my Philips TuOcam Pro) or also try your luck with Macam (look on versiontracker).

Then use Yahoo Messenger (latest one you can find) and you should be up n running.

My webcam cant seem to get more than 2fps now (with Yahoo)... but I think they have to be optimized a bit more.

As rrabu mentioned, once you have drivers installed, you can try your luck at <a href="http://www.webcamnow.com"; target="_blank">www.webcamnow.com</a> for cross platform chatting n stuff. Worked with me. Was pretty amazed they had an OS X client working.

BTW macam drivers are free... but the supported list is short.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: ZO ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Yahoo messenger doesn't require drivers...at least w/ what I use for a web cam which is a Sony DCR-TRV25 Camcorder thru Firewire.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Apple provides native FireWire webcam support for most models... thats probably why.

At least in some primitive form in 10.1.x much more in Jag
  • Reply 9 of 14
    What about "Quicktime Broadcaster" a free download from apple?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I use CUseeme in in OS9 it, doesn't run natively but it does run. the last version they put out for mac was 3.14, they are up to version 5 on PC's. The quality from a DV camera is so much better than a web, but a web cam is defintiely more convenient.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Mandricard:

<strong>What about "Quicktime Broadcaster" a free download from apple?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Only if you have OS X Server.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Sadly, Yahoo Messenger for Mac OS X limits bandwidth to 2fps. The free "SuperWebcam" component of Yahoo Messenger requires v 5.x. (If you're counting- that's about 3 versions ahead of our OS X v2.x beta)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>

Only if you have OS X Server. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You are not limited to using QT Broadcaster only if you have Quicktime Server. You can have a one-on-one webchat using QT Broadcaster without ever needing QT Server.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    In another thread we were discussing <a href="http://www.squidsoft.com"; target="_blank">SquidCam</a>, which looks simple and effective, is priced right and has supposedly been updated to work with NetMeeting. Haven't spoken to a single person who has tried it, though.