Mail.app vs. Gmail: has Gmail warped my mind?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I recently signed up for the free trail of .Mac just to see what all the hubbub is about. While I like some of the features including the syncronization and online storage, I am finding the mail/mail.app pairing leaving something to be desired.

Gmail has been my email for quite some time now. I have gotten so used to the threading of mail into conversations that I am now having a hard time using .Mac Mail (as well as hotmail and any other email that doesn't thread email conversations). I am finding it difficult to keep track of the back and forth that occurs in email when each message gets its own line in my inbox. It turns out that what I really think I want is a way to take the Gmail interface off the web.

Am I missing something in the preferences of Mail.app? Is there a way to thread conversations in Mail the same way they are threaded in Gmail? I know I can use Mail.app as a pop client for my gmail account, but once again, each back and forth gets its own inbox line and clutters up the space

It seems that what has happened is a fundamental shift in the way I think about email. Just like using OS X has fundamentally changed my idea of what I want out of a computer. I applaud Google for implementing this scheme and hope that the next Mail.app incorporates these features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but perhaps in Mail you should choose View>Organize by Thread
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jabohn

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but perhaps in Mail you should choose View>Organize by Thread

You didn't misunderstand me at all. Will give this a try to see how it compares. Thanks for the help.