Is there a way to use an Apple Display as a TV?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have been watching Band of Brothers on my wifes G4 mini and 23" Apple Display. The display is awesome.



I don't know if this has been discussed before (search turned up nothing) but is there a way to use the display in place of my TV? Sound isn't a problem because I use a surround system and not my TV's crap speakers.







TIA

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,737member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aplnub

    I have been watching Band of Brothers on my wifes G4 mini and 23" Apple Display. The display is awesome.



    I don't know if this has been discussed before (search turned up nothing) but is there a way to use the display in place of my TV? Sound isn't a problem because I use a surround system and not my TV's crap speakers.







    TIA




    I was thinking the same thing before myself! Repace the T.V. with 30" display, would be cool! I didn't win the lotto so I bought a Bravia instead. Do you want to plug your regular cable or whatever into your display?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Exactly. I have a DirectTV box and DVD system. I want to plug in rca jakcs and a SVGA input to the monitor. I know they make Tv to VGA boxes but I have never seen a DVI solution.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but why not just use one of the zillion LCD HDTVs out there that have DVI or HDMI inputs?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kishan

    Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but why not just use one of the zillion LCD HDTVs out there that have DVI or HDMI inputs?



    That may be what I end up doing.



    The 23" isn't working out for my wife, she thinks it is too big. I was hoping to use it.



    After crusing through dell's site, I may have to get one of their LCD tv's.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    The only way I'm aware of would be MacMini + Elgato + Display.



    Now, if you want the 30" display, you'd have to substitute a G5 Powermac for the mini ... but if you can afford that display for a TV, then the PM shouldn't be a problem either.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by aplnub

    That may be what I end up doing.



    The 23" isn't working out for my wife, she thinks it is too big. I was hoping to use it.



    After crusing through dell's site, I may have to get one of their LCD tv's.




    I have had a great experience with my Olevia by Syntax 27" LCD HDTV. Got it for like $699 after rebate.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Using tv as monitor is stupid answer to that question, but thats apparently what electronics companies think consumers want to do. Here in Finland, 90% of tv's are still sold with analog tv tuner, and yet we are supposed to be completely digital next year, also what bugs me are those shitty build in speakers, I DON'T WANT TO PAY FOR THEM!!! And I don't even want to start with the shitty resolutions on most of tv's compared to equal size pc monitors.



    So you have DVD, TIVO, CABLE, HTPC, XBOX and none of them need tv tuner to work, so plain monitor would suffice well.



    I hate to have all those different remote controls, just to change volume you have to use three different remotes...



    It would just be so much more convenient, if I could just have a big monitor and hook what ever appliances to that. MacMini with front row + some elgato integration would be perfect



    Last thing, that monitor should be able to do sleepmode like computer monitors, so no remote for that would be needed.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

    Now, if you want the 30" display, you'd have to substitute a G5 Powermac for the mini ...



    Except that no computer except the MBP or the "mac pro" can take the 30"



    It would be hard and a waste of time to use your 30" apple screen, it probably would take the signal eat it then dump it on your shoe. i doubt it would easily work.



    Why not buy a cheaper TV screen thats 30"? the only reason the apple one is so expensive is beacause it is so fine tuned for colour and contrast... for pros... not for tv.. Oh wait, we have to have an apple product in every room now, dont we?
Sign In or Register to comment.