Tiger Will Not Fully Shut Down Machine

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have suffered with Tiger since I installed it on my IMac last year (upgraded from Panther); when I shut down the system and answer the "do you really want to shut down" -- the system refuses to totally shut down. The only way I can fully shut it down is to hold the "start" button on the base of the computer for 5-6 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Don Creswell

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crampy20crampy20 Posts: 68member
    I presume you have tried shutting everything down and logging out and then trying.

It's most likely a deep system problem if anything. Have you tried shutting down though the Terminal?

If that has failed you should really call Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    im-0nim-0n Posts: 47member
    same problem as me..

try this :

reset the pram,fix harddisk, and update to 10.4.5

well the problem is still there sometimes...but in a few weeks,

the problem will fade...wont come back...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Maybe you have something running that won't give up. That usually halts the shutdown procedure. I think it tells you when it times out though and the process to blame so this is probably a bigger issue. Still, launch your activity monitor after everything seems to have quit.

Incidentally, command-option-ctrl-eject does a force shutdown. It's easier than holding the power key.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

I presume you have tried shutting everything down and logging out and then trying.

It's most likely a deep system problem if anything. Have you tried shutting down though the Terminal?

• Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by crampy20

=================

Thanks for your reply; I have tried this approach. Other suggestions include resetting PRAM, etc. I will try these and then crawl through the Apple phone ladder.

Don C.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by iM-0N

same problem as me..

try this :

reset the pram,fix harddisk, and update to 10.4.5

well the problem is still there sometimes...but in a few weeks,

the problem will fade...wont come back...

==================

Thanks. I will reset the PRAM and fix the hard disk. All updates are current. Great suggestions.

P.S. What kind of music are you into? I am a jazz pianist when not running sales and marketing for my software company.

Don C.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Maybe you have something running that won't give up. That usually halts the shutdown procedure. I think it tells you when it times out though and the process to blame so this is probably a bigger issue. Still, launch your activity monitor after everything seems to have quit.

Incidentally, command-option-ctrl-eject does a force shutdown. It's easier than holding the power key.

=====================

Thanks for the ideas. I will give them a try.

Don C.